To Summon Change (Solo)

Ray receives a private lesson on Summoning.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

To Summon Change (Solo)

Postby Rayage on March 13th, 2012, 3:59 am

Summer 44 411 AV

"You all know your assignment due next time we meet." he stated the question looking over the class, "Then you are dismissed." he waved a hand and watched all the students get up and file out of the room. Nothing was better than the end of class. No more dealing with their idiotic questions on Alchemy. Really, he had no patience for those who cannot learn themselves. He tries so hard to give them everything they need, to give them the tools to put two and two together, but some people just have trouble with it. To those people he might advise saying Alchemy just might not be for them. It takes a certain kind of logic to practice his art.

He waited, standing there at the front of the class until every last student left the room. That being done he took a step back and looked at the filled up chalk board. He did quite a bit of explaining and lecturing today on the importance of competence and the coming up with and the testing of one's own theories. The assignment he gave his class to be done promptly on their next lesson was to come up with a 'unique' theory about Alchemy, could be something as simple as why the use of blood is important in the alchemic application to something as advanced as a new charger type. After they have their theory they were to write a paper on it outlining their thought process, the theory itself, and how it could possibly be tested.

Although certain things did limit the students to what they could do. It had to be something that they could test, using the alchemic knowledge that they have so far, in the laboratory. It also had to be something the student could produce. Part of the final grade after all is the actual testing of the theory and the students response to that. Though, that was all in the future.

Grabbing a rag he started to clean the board erasing hours of talk and gab from it, erasing examples and answers to questions, erasing the entire class. Hope they took good notes. Not all Alchemy is using the circle, no. Alchemy is thinking before and during and after. Alchemy is the realization of dreams and gaining the knowledge to manifest it into reality. Alchemy is more complicated than most people think it is. Even Ray hasnt grasped at the full extent of the art yet, and he was teaching the subject.

Just about finished erasing the last of the chalk from the board the nuit heard a knock on the door. Not bothering to turn around he kept on erasing, "If you have a question state it." he said loud enough for the person, whoever it was, to hear. There was silence and... "I've always been curious about Alchemy." that was a statement more than a question and that was not a student's voice, but that of a teacher. Ray knew it to be "Professor Arknes" Ray said without turning around doing one last swipe with the cloth to erase the last of the chalk marks.

"What brings you to me?" he asked turning around looking at the Professor. Ray knew from idol gossip that Arknes was the Summoning teacher and he knew from his talks with Arknes before that the dear professor liked to dabble in all sorts of world magic. It was a known fact however that Arknes thought low of those who practiced personal magic and it was said that he made it harder for those in such classes to pass his summoning class.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

To Summon Change (Solo)

Postby Elianos on March 24th, 2012, 4:34 am

Another person was in the class although he was not really a student. Elianos was there just to see how his friend, actually ally worked? Rayage could be considered that since they had near similar goals actually. In fact on seeing the Professor coming into the class, Elianos started walking from behind the class admitting himself that "I feel the same way, but there was never really any proper motivation for me to learn since I already know someone who can help me do whatever it is I want with it" who was of course Rayage himself though some of the experiments may have less than ideal results for him. Still it was all good in the pursuit of making the ideal body.

And the best part about it was he would not need to waste his time learning all over again about blood and chargers the way the other students needed to.
Currently trying to revamp his personality so that it would not be one of those overused angry rawr nuits...
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Words: 28740
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Character sheet

To Summon Change (Solo)

Postby Rayage on March 24th, 2012, 5:32 am

The professor of course had his reasons for coming to see Rayage, and he was about to answer when Elianos spoke up. A little startled the Professor jumped a little before looking behind him, ”It appears that you have a student in need of some help. Perhaps this was a bad time.” with that the Professor started to make his back, but was stopped by a dismissing wave of Rays hand, ”He is no student” he said, ”Please, ask me what you wanted.” Ray then acknowledged Elianos’ presence by giving him an all too knowing nod.

The Professor seemed hesitant to ask in front of a an unacquainted person but upon the insisting of Rayage he did so anyways, ”I’ve come here to offer a trade of sorts.” he said, ”As I said Ive always been curious about Alchemy.” if rumor was true the Professor was more than curious about all other world magics, and if rumor was also true he has found a way to swindle knowledge out of just about every professor on campus. A grin came to Arknes’ face, ”If you teach me a little on Alchemy Ill teach you a little about summoning.” which just so happened to be the professors specialty.

”Information for information” Ray said, his voice was all too amused by this, but he nodded, ”Ill teach you the basics of Alchemy if you will do the same with summoning.” Setting the dusted rag down the nuit watched for a change in Arknes personality, his posture, his overall feel and he found something. A little something inside the professor lit up, a light perhaps that only the living carry (Ray had long lost his), and it was like the man was almost giddy that Ray accepted his offer. ”I asked you because I heard you are a better alchemist than the head of the department himself.” he shined the nuits ego, ”Haha perhaps you will become department head one day. I hear it comes with quite the pay raise.” There was a hinting tone to his voice as if the professor almost wanted Ray to become the Head of the Department of Alchemy.

”Elianos,” he motioned to the man Arknes didn’t know, ”This is Professor Arknes.” he introduced his ally, his friend, to the Summoning Professor, ”Professor Arknes” Ray said, ”This is Elianos. The man has accompanied me in my journeys for a long time.” Rayage left it that. ”You wouldn’t mind if he sat in on this lesson as well? We, like you and Alchemy, have always been curious about summoning.”

The professor looked at Elianos and then to Ray as if weighing Rayages words with the appearance of the man. It took him a minute or two of silent contemplation before he shrugged and nodded, ”If he is with you then I don’t see why not.” Though there came a serious look on his face, ”Though, he doesn’t practice any personal magic, right?’ Rayage assured the man that this wasn’t the case with Elianos, but the Professor still looked at Elianos for an answer.

”Well then, the professor clapped his hands together, ”Shall we get going?” he asked already leading the way out the door.

Rayage stayed slightly behind Arknes, walking up to Elianos, ”This is our chance” he said before passing him; walking with the professor, ”Arknes, slow down a little” he called out as the teacher was already to the other end of one long passageway. Yes, they could use this to their advantage, and all Ray had to do was teach the bear minimum of Alchemy, perhaps just enough to do a simple transmutation. Yes, that would suffice. The Alchemist was already thinking up of simple experiments that will allow the professor to actually learn and do at the same time.

Once at the classroom, it was empty and abandoned. It was obvious this place was used for world magic. The rows and rows of seats meant that the professor probably taught a large class as well. All the seats were set in a semi-circle around the main fixture of the room. In the center of the room was a single summoning circle and beyond that a wall of chalkboard, used to show examples and write down theories. The room reeked of magic though. Surrounding the summoning circle were layer after layer of runes which amplified the summoner’s power over the aura of the circle, which in turn allowed for greater control over the things summoned. All in all it was quite the impressive classroom. It showed a lot for the value which the school placed in all of its magical arts.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

To Summon Change (Solo)

Postby Elianos on March 31st, 2012, 11:38 pm

Rayage did almost everything that was needed which was a good thing because Elianos might have slipped up. As competent as he was, other beings were not his forte especially in interaction. Maybe more about the inner workings of their bodies but almost all of them did not like being on the dissection table as much as he liked doing his thing. With that, the safest was giving a nod here and there to agree with whatever Rayage said or to help his friend seem more convincing.

That was until the professor asked about Elianos practicing personal magic. Seeing the way that Rayage and his alchemy has been the subject of discussion so far, Elianos wanted to admit that "as a matter of fact..." but was stopped by Rayage very easily especially when he remembered how the other professors in the University talked about this Arknes to quickly change his story to "I've been very involved in the Animation classes here" and that other professor there was just as big a bigot to nuits as Arknes was said to be with personal magic users.

When Rayage caught up to him, Elianos had this look on his face as he asked softly that "there has to be other more...qualified teachers" and stole a look for the Arknes which was almost gone. His diminutive figure down the hall was nothing too fantastic although his classroom was another thing entirely.
Currently trying to revamp his personality so that it would not be one of those overused angry rawr nuits...
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Words: 28740
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Character sheet

To Summon Change (Solo)

Postby Rayage on November 2nd, 2012, 1:00 am

”Come in, come in.” Arknes urged as he hurried to the front of the class, though his steps were careful not to mar the chalk laid on the ground, the gentle runes which stabilized the circle and allowed him much more power over the beings he would bring into this world, ”If you know anything about summoning you will know that it is the art of contacting other worlds in the hopes that something will walk through.” he said with a grin, ”It’s that something that we are interested in.”

Going over to the board the professor drew an almost perfect circle with practiced speed and precision, ”Summoning is a lot like fishing.” he said doodling little waves into the circle which he drew. Drawing several smaller circles around the ‘lake’ ”Astral coordinates go into those, and putting in specific numbers is akin to choosing the lake of which you will fish. Though, before we continue, I should introduce to you some lakes in which you will fish.” On the board he wrote the word Fyrden- 6701984710485453 ”Fyrden, a low world.” The professor explained shaking his head, ”Home of the Fyrdenese, commonly used for Familiars. They are all too willing to come to Mizahar and leave that desolate planet, even if it is for a little while. You will find that words classified as Low Worlds will have their inhabitants all too eager to come to Mizahar. High Worlds, however, you will find take some bargaining.”

Kseyden- 3893849280160001 ”Kseyden, another Low World, but it does not have life like you would find in Fyrden. Kseyden has no animal life, only plants. More specifically there is this interesting plant there called Vilemoss by Summoners. I encourage you to find out about the moss itself. It’s not like I know much about it anyways.” Though the tone of his voice made it seem that he knew more about the moss than he wanted to disclose. Perhaps at another time he could ask for specifics instead of just interrupting this crash course in Summoning.

Shoyden- 0012926672185630 ”Shoyden, this world is mostly used for summoning Glassbeaks, and if you know anything about the Cyphrus Region.” the professor pointed at a distant map across the room, ”then you should know that it is because of Shoyden that the people over there have such a big problem with Glassbeaks. It’s a shame. There are so many ways to control these birds. I have thought about how to remedy the outbreak in the Cyphrus Region for a while now. I think that I might have come up with an answer, but it is more of a flight of fancy than anything else. Rayage, I was not born a hero. I was gifted with a great mind, a curious mind. One that questions known beliefs and facts, and it is through those questions which we make progress in academics. I know I do not have to lecture you about the importance of questioning everything. Of course there will always be the fine line between knowledge and fact. Just because it is known doesn’t mean there is all there is to know about that subject. There is always more, friend. Keep that in mind. No one ever has complete knowledge over anything, not even the gods.” he said boldly.

Swalden- 8492841047291777 ”From this planet you can gain access to particular stones called Memosites. This planet you will probably find the most interesting.” he paused smiling, ”I bet you are wondering, ‘Professor Arknes what is so special about summoning rocks?’ Well, let me tell you: Memosites hold a landmine of knowledge. Memories from wizards who used the stones prior exist, and they communicate telepathically with the user. However to gain a memory, you must give the stone one of your own. Though, remember to return the stone, or the Memosites will not share any more information with you.” The summoner warned. The nuit was content to just listen, trying to take in all the Professor had to offer, or was willing to tell him.

Zaiden- 1069002583582104 ”From this world you can summon Diverse. They are an interesting people, simple, ready to fight for whoever summons them if you can pay their price in treasures and blood. They enjoy killing, and will do your dirty work if you can give them a sizeable reward of battle and loot. Who doesn’t like shiny objects?” he said so simply, laughing a little. ”Listed in front of you are the common worlds and their Astral Coordinates. These are the worlds that most every summoner are assumed to know, and the worlds that I lecture about in my classes. It’s imperative that we, at the university, that we set the standard for every student interested in this art.”

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)