Suvan Sea Development - Ideas and Requests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Aello on December 24th, 2012, 4:05 am

Here we go:

Name: Aloho
Frequency: 100-175
Threat Level: Low
Major Features: Horse upper half, fish like lower half
Abilities: Strong sense of smell
Most Common In: The North Suvan
Mod permission: Yes

Appearance

When full grown, an Aloho is about five and a half feet long, and another five from head to hooves. They come in a variety of colors, although most commonly they are a shade of grey, similar to the clouds before a storm, and the sea when it churns beneath Zulrav's wrath. Their manes are scraggly, often the shade of a raven's feathers, and soft as a kitten's fur. Their front half is that of a horse, with a snout marginally longer, and eyes slightly smaller. Always a mud tone. Thin gills line the underside of their neck, and their legs prove to be long and awkward, capable of dragging their bodies along shorelines for short distances, assuming they dig their forked hooves deeply enough into the sand. Webbed ears sprout from their head; akin to miniature fins, and a similar structure also lines the bottom of their neck and the ridge of their back's center. The latter two seem little more than adornments for they serve no practical purpose, seeing as they are stiff as a board, leaving the Aloho incapable of moving them. From the base of their horse's appearance is the rest of their body. An elongated fish's tail lined with small circular scales which shimmer in the light of the sun; a soft silver, or more often, a slate grey.

History

The Aloho was originally a creature hunted in the north, around the waters of Avanthal for their blubber which could be used to help burn oil lamps, and for their fatty meat, which helped add weight to the thin's bones, ultimately aiding those who lived in the colder regions with their ability to keep warm. However, over time the creature was nearly hunted to extinction, leading them to migrate to warmer climes in order to keep their numbers within existence. It is unknown how they came to find the Northen Suvan, and claim the area as their own, although it has become common knowledge amongst the Svefran people that such occurred, and slowly, they are beginning to repopulate.

Personality

Aloho are often found to be both curious and playful creatures. Relatively harmless unless provoked, and fiercely protective of their young. They tend to travel in large groups of about 10-15 members, known simply as pods, with a single male at its head. A younger female leading at its side.

Diet

The Aloho are known to eat a variety of things, considering the fact that they're largely omnivorous. A personal favorite, however, tends to be kelp, although, they are also known for being relatively fond of smaller fish such as anchovies. During times in which prey is scarce however, the animals don't hesitate to scavenge, feasting on whatever bones and flesh other creatures left behind.

Credit goes to Aello

Enjoy!

<3 Ae

Other Options :

Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cascade on December 24th, 2012, 7:14 am

This is fantastic! We literally have seahorses. :P Thank you so much, Ae!

Some of the pics won't work but it might just be my laptop. I did get the alternate links though, so that's good.

Again, thanks!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aello on December 24th, 2012, 1:14 pm

I don't just think it's your laptop, since mine is being ultra moody too!

And you are welcome.

<3 Ae
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on December 24th, 2012, 11:02 pm

A kelpie ? :)
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1

Postby Aello on December 28th, 2012, 3:28 am

It's closer to the Grecian hippocampus actually.

The Sands of Piras

pics :

The Sands of Piras are a stretch of land that rests on the outskirts of the Southern Suvan Sea, several days ride north of Eloab. It is often considered to have been touched by Syna's hand. It was given its name because the area is blanketed by coarse sand the shade of milk and coffee, which is usually found to be wet due to the plethora of high tides which plague the shoreline. For this reason, one's feet will often sink beneath the fine grains if they are not careful, or treading upon the jagged black stones which dot one's passage. This, however, is often considered to be folly, seeing as the sun constantly beats upon them, causing them to grow so warm, that if one were to walk barefoot across their length, they'd burn their feet so badly their flesh would peel away in thin sheets. The sand isn't much better; the grains being in a state of perpetual warmth and littered with fine, broken cockle shells. A field of death, for any fish that enters the waters just surrounding the Sands finds that its scales fall away with the heat, and its body soon bakes, leaving any animals that may have led them to venture close, which cannot survive such temperatures to wash up along the shores, where they are hurriedly devoured by scavengers before they dart away.

Note: Moderation is required only if one is trying to find the secret behind why the Sands burn so strongly. Credit for this location goes to Aello.

Enjoy!

<3 Ae
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 28th, 2012, 6:41 am

Hi there.

Just a friendly reminder. We do not allow popular mythos creatures like hypocampi to be introduced to the game setting. This is even true if they are renamed something different. This goes against what mizahar stands for. So no water horses please.

Thanks.

goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357847
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Cascade on December 28th, 2012, 7:07 am

Nothing much about it aside from the images used appears to be the same. I understand your concerns and I’ll refrain from posting it up, though.

Ae, your location will be up soon. Thank you again!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 28th, 2012, 11:00 am

I appreciate that. We do want to keep Mizahar original and keep known fantasy elements out of it. Also, reverse tracing the images back to Deviantart they were images that the artist did not want reproduced. So its important to keep that in mind as well.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357847
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Vaspira on December 29th, 2012, 6:49 am

How about a seaweed type of creature.. Just a thought. It seems original. I am not much of an artist, or I would draw it out for you.

Here is an example, of course I am not saying to use this image, but just as an inspirational example for someone that is talented with drawing to gaze upon. I did not draw this by the way, I found it on google.

This is me using Hypnotism.
Vaspira
Feral Beauty

Words: 151761
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Vaspira on December 29th, 2012, 6:52 am

While I am at it, I would like to also suggest a Seashell type of creature as well...

Also found on google to use as an inspiration. It looks to be a humanoid/crab/shell type of creature. Thought it was interesting either way.

Also maybe even a type of tidal monster, that appears in the waves of the tides..It could be interesting. :)

[EDIT]

Oh jeez I almost forgot, my sisters husband is a pretty decent artist. He used to draw creatures for her online game, he may be able to draw some of my ideas up for me if he can find the time since he works in all, if you are interested.

This is me using Hypnotism.
Vaspira
Feral Beauty

Words: 151761
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

PreviousNext