Brigands and Baddies

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Thalrick on March 8th, 2015, 7:54 am

Basically, my character, Thalrick, comes across a lot of bad and good men in his youth, most of which are outlaws. They're all based in the wildlands, but there's a chance they could spread further out across Mizahar. I was wondering what everyone thinks of writing up some groups of outlaws as solid lore? Each to his own purpose, with different goals for their groups. E.G. The Sovereign Company, who I've created in flashbacks, see Syliran Knights as bad, and think that killing them 'protects the wildlands', while another group (yet to be mentioned IC) called 'The Flayed Brothers' are basically a group of bandit savages who revel in killing and gore, and are generally bought out as sellswords by people who need them, even if their methods are disturbing. More could be introduced, I'm just curious as to what people think?
Thalrick
Plagued by proverb

Words: 118406
Joined roleplay: February 26th, 2015, 4:00 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Roderick on March 8th, 2015, 10:25 pm

Well I can say with some certainty that the Sovereign Company probably wouldn't fly very well, at least not anywhere in the vicinity of Syliras. Any kind of organized group of outlaws is just automatically begging to get its ass kicked by the Knights; since the Sovereigns apparently target the knights specifically, they'd be wiped out in no time. Now if they were to be located quite far from Syliras and they only killed straggling knights or squires on their Knighting quests, then that might be better. You have to remember though that most people gather in the towns and cities because the wilds are so dangerous.

As to The Flayed Brothers, that seems like a reasonable fit for Sunberth. The Syliran Knights would never put up with that and I imagine it would be the same for Zeltiva.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Thalrick on March 9th, 2015, 12:00 am

I don't plan for the Sovereign to be big in any case, as their numbers are constantly run down by the knights (as is going to happen in my flashbacks involving them), it'd just be a small group of outlaws. Or, they could be run out of the wildlands by the knights and move elsewhere, where they're able to grow slightly bigger in number.

And yes, Sunberth does seem quite fitting for them I'll agree. :)
Thalrick
Plagued by proverb

Words: 118406
Joined roleplay: February 26th, 2015, 4:00 am
Character sheet

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Roderick on March 9th, 2015, 8:51 am

The latter option seems to be the most reasonable, at least for me. Like I said people live in the cities for a reason and the bandits would ultimately have to get their supplies from somewhere. I think having them anywhere near Syliras just introduces a bunch of different questions that you need to answer. The best option would be for them to be repeatedly accosted by the knights and they ultimately flee the area rather than face utter annihilation.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Kailily Sinclair on March 16th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Yea the knights might grow really tired of that and could possibly capture you in there city. Smart money says get your supplies in Sunberth, hit those on route too Sylira then double back into Sunberth kinda like a marauding is that the word?
Shout out to Aventis for helping with my avatar. :)
Kailily Sinclair
Life Hack 101

Words: 13672
Joined roleplay: December 9th, 2014, 10:38 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Journal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Alea Davenport on March 16th, 2015, 11:48 pm

The way I see it, you can invent as many "gangs" as you want in your flashbacks, as long as they are short-lived ;)

Just going off of PC-gangs in Sunberth, I've seen plenty of occasions where a group of people are like, hey let's get together for fun and profit! And then a few seasons later they are dissolved or wiped out or whatever. So just apply that to any groups you meet in flashbacks! There could totally be a handful of dudes who were like, you know what? I hate Knights. I bet we could make lots of money killing and robbing them. So they form a band with a silly name, and start doing that. Then, within a couple of seasons, they realize it was a bad idea (probably because most of them are dead) and they disband and never speak of it again! ^_^

Just a thought anyway. There will never be a shortage of stupid people. Just make sure the consequences for them are realistic ;)
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Rewyn Horne on March 17th, 2015, 12:04 am

Yeah that's precisely what I mean!

I've tried to establish The Flayed Brothers as a kind of savage group in both Thalrick and Rewyn's posts so far, trying to create a small name for them. They're not entirely based in Syliras, often travelling around and f***ing shit up. But for the other groups, that's exactly what happens, they fight, they win a few, then they all die miserably, gods rest their idiotic souls.
Rewyn Horne
Faith is Poison

Words: 19172
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2015, 5:24 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Brigands and Baddies

Postby Ashar on April 13th, 2015, 7:44 pm

It has been nearly a month, but I'd like to express my interest in creating a lore page dedicated to bandits and outlaws. Even if no region- or Mizahar-wide bandit or outlaw groups are added, it will at least be a good page so as to satisfy the curiosity of those meaning to include outlaws in their history, and will also serve to offer some finality as to what exactly banditry is like in Mizahar.
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes