PM to join [The Docks] One Clover, and a Bee, and Revery

Philomena and Orin meet, and discuss deities and biscuits

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A vast city of soaring towers, spirals, and platforms, Abura is the home of the Akvatari. [Lore]

Moderator: Liminal

[The Docks] One Clover, and a Bee, and Revery

Postby Philomena on June 5th, 2015, 5:29 pm

SUMMER 83, 514
In a play, once, Minnie had heard of the long evenings of the Akvatari, and she had found it intoxicating and lush at the time - a kind of sacred, imminently foreign decadence.

Having experienced the questionable joys of Aburan heat, she was now fairly convinced that the whole thing was a simple adaptation - the evening brought, at least, the sun's tardy nap time, and a blessed breath of wind some nights. The water too, was cool and pleasant in the canal, running through the damp fabric of her blue cotton skirt.

She rotated her feet, feeling now almost a pleasure at the sensation of her ankles straining against the ribbon binding them together. Swimming still felt like an activity ill-designed to show her as competent, but it was not so frustratingly impossible, now - she even swam, now, alone in the current, Semiyr having gone to a gallery showing. Her body wore the simple wrapping across the breast of the Akvatari, and her cheeks bore freckles - they made her laugh, for she had not spent so much time in the sun since she had been a child, and they indeed gave her face a kind of youth when she looked at it in the wavering water's surface.

It was third's-night, and she had just come from the Spire of the Red Lanterns, and the complex traceries of letters and vine work lay across her back and belly like black botany. She plashed her tail-feet, swimming like a (clumsy) Akvatari, and smiled, a sad sort of smile. The painting, the soft movements of the brush in the hands of Krindre Leibsänger were a pleasure she still had not learned to swallow fully, and a bittersweet pleasure, for they made her think of Mara still. Ronight, particularly, with the sand-sour air of a sirocco blowing in from the continent, she felt very much away, very much homesick.

It was this, then, that brought her to swim, instead of back home to the House of Lives Lived, down into the docksides. Perhaps Raisa would be there, she thought, and not be busy - it was not too late for a cup of evening tea, maybe? Or perhaps she could simply sit and watch the stevedore's - a ship had come up from the South, not so long ago, and would be at the moorings now. It was a pleasure seeing them loaded, for in Abura there was no steady stream of regular bundles, but an endless assortment of oddments - a statue swathed in heavy white canvas, or great flat covered canvases, tucked carefully inside of fresh timber, boxes of dried pampas-grass cradling delicate works of glass or porcelain, and the soft, sad singing of the artists who sold their works to the Guild.

She came to the canal's edge then, in the gathering dim of the night. The dusk was just reaching its end, the last warm light of the evening melting away beneath the cool tongue of the night-wind. The stars shone almost as clear and insistent as they had when the ship was at sea. She pulled herself up to the canal's edge, sat on the stone's there, and pulled her canvas satchel up beside her, bending to begin to unbind her ankles.
x
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 6th, 2015, 2:00 am

Bewildered didn’t even begin to describe how confused Orin was currently feeling. The ship had sailed into the harbor of Abura and it was nothing like anything Orin had ever seen before. Apparently Abura was the home of a stranger people called the Akvatari. And they were a fascinating if a bit otherworldly for someone who had grown up in the human dominated Syliras. They had the wings of a butterfly and the tail of a seal and seemed equally at home in the sea and in the air. Unfortunately, they didn’t seem to have much use for the land itself. Abura was covered with tall towers, and the island, apart from this one settlement, seemed rather dead and abandoned. Since Orin and his companions were grounded, they couldn’t access the vast majority of the city without the aid of flying chairs. Orin wasn’t sure he trusted those contraptions yet, and hadn’t ventured into the upper stories at all yet. Mostly Orin had been haunting his room in the Hospitality House, just about the only building that was accessible to someone without wings or gills.

In fact, once the initial shock of Abura and the Akvatari had worn off, Orin had found himself quite underwhelmed by the city. For one thing, there was not really any food available and the only kitchen that Orin could find was ill-stocked. After careful inquiries with the few other residents of the island, he’d found that since most Akvatari are their food raw they saw no need for any cooking supplies. Orin had been appalled and immediately despaired of enjoying his stay in Abura. So it was with a miserable mood that Orin left his lavishly appointed rooms and the Hospitality House itself behind. He grabbed his fishing poles having some vague notion that he’d fish and cook his own dinner, even though Orin hadn’t fished in years. Still, Orin hoped he remembered the basics well enough to catch something. Otherwise he’d look rather foolish. He had no eyes for the admittedly gorgeous sandstone walls of the House, fixing on the docks ahead of him. Orin didn’t even know what type of fish lived in the waters around Abura but at this point he was willing to give anything a try. Otherwise Orin was worried he might go insane with nothing to do with his time.

As he picked his way down the short trail from the Hospitality House to the docks, Orin spotted something unusual in the water. At first he thought it was an Akvatari swimming, but the lines seemed too imperfect for the graceful race. It was much too large and ungainly to be a fish. And Orin didn’t know much about the local animals, but it didn’t move like an animal flailing about in the water. Orin squinted his eyes, straining to see in the dim light. The moon wasn’t providing much illumination and the stars shone everywhere, but didn’t exactly light the way. So Orin couldn’t really see anything as well as he would’ve hoped. If he had to guess it looked like a person trying to imitate the swimming style of the Akvatari. But Orin didn’t know of anyone other than his fellow travelers from Syliras and a few traders. None of them struck him as the type to try and master such an unusual method. Unconsciously, Orin’s feet started taking him closer to this spectacle. Whoever or whatever was out there, Orin wanted to figure it out. Maybe this island wasn’t as lifeless and depressing as Orin had assumed.

As he neared the site, the person pulled themselves onto the stones at the side of the canal. At first Orin thought it was a child, her hair damp and framing her face. But as she pulled a bag out of the water and reached down to untie something wrapped around her legs, Orin saw that her face was lined with the years. Her hair was dark from being submerged in the water but if Orin had to guess he’d say it was a medium brown. There were wrinkles around her eyes. And although she was sitting down, Orin could tell that she was short, much shorter than Orin himself. She was wrapped in some strange garment that covered the important bits but left very little to the imagination and Orin averted his eyes, blushing furiously. It would be best if he just looked at her face. Setting his poles aside, Orin applauded quietly. ”You’re much braver than I am, to be swimming, and after dark too.” Orin smiled down at the woman, and crouched so they were closer to the same level. Orin wasn’t great at interacting with complete strangers but seeing as this woman was the first person Orin had seen who he hadn’t spent most of the past season with, she provided a great distraction. ”I had no idea that there was anyone on the island except for my companions and a few merchants. Unless, well, of course you might be a trader but forgive me for saying this but you don’t look like one.” Stretching out one hand Orin pointed at her bag. "Do you need any help with that ma'am? Orin did his best to be unfailingly polite to his elders. It was one of the virtues that had practically been beaten into him by the leaders of Mithryn.

Of course at that point he realized that he'd skipped the most basic of conventions in meeting anyone, actually introducing himself. He smacked the palm of his hand into his forehead. "I'm sorry I got so excited to see a new face that I completely forgot myself." Orin gave the woman a rather lopsided grin. "I'd lose my own head if it wasn't firmly attached to my neck. Anyway the name's Orin Fenix." Orin pulled his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. "I'm one of those folks who came down on that ship that came in from Syliras a few days back." Orin bit his tongue so he didn't start blurting out questions. He was practically vibrating with curiosity and the need to question this stranger about what she was doing in Abura. However Orin had learned that people didn't necessarily take kindly to have themselves interrogated, so Orin was slowly but surely learning to bide his time and get a life story one step at a time.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Philomena on June 6th, 2015, 11:28 am

Minnie untied the ribbon, now, and removed it, then began stretching her ankles out slowly, when her ears were interrupted by the sound of a single person applauding behind her. She started at the relative closeness of the sound, and then at the face crouching very close beside her (well... close to her estimation). She was used, now, to the closeness of the Akvatari, their physicality a simple fact of interaction, but this was different - this was a human, a regular person.

And a foreigner, what is that queer accent!

Syliran? She had heard the intonations a few times around the grain carts, the occasional student. IT made her immediately uncomfortable. Syrians had a tendency to carry weapons at their sides. Her eyes, with no real effort at subtlety, scanned him quickly to check for any. Fishing poles, those didn't count, nothing else she immediately saw.

It was only at this point that she fully registered that the man was still talking to her - it wasn't exactly that she'd FORGOTTEN the fact, it was simply that for a time, there had been more pressing business and her mind had set the whole bit about listening aside. The listening made her more aware of herself in the conversation (Was it to turn to conversation then? Qalaya protect me!), and she became suddenly very aware of the bare nature of her skin, not only its relative state of undress, but also the queer traceries of words over it. (Lanie, Evalin, Mara, Shearsy, Gypa, Hannah, Charm, Bethany...)

She reached, thus into her bag with the slight jerkiness of one tense from her own sudden hyper vigilance, and withdrew a buttoned blue blouse - soaked through of course - and cowering her shoulders down a bit (as if that would hide her at all) she started to quickly squeeze the water from the blouse, stopping before she'd really finished to clumsily start to tug her arms into the sleeves, her gloved hands fumbling fight their way down the sodden tunnels of wet, sticky fabric.

Good gods, he is a bit of a chatterbox, isn't he?

Minnie listened as the man, perhaps a bit nervous, rambled on a bit, her own eyes darting back and forth between face, to not appear odd (Mark that one off as a failure, you stupid gutterslut) and his hands, to ensure they weren't at mischief towards her.

HE stopped, and she waited a moment, just an uncomfortable beat too long, long enough that her response was awkward and unnatural, but not quite long enough to interrupt her beforehand unless the speaker was unusually eager to do so.

"Ge... Mi..." she stopped and closed her eyes, breathing. She thought of Semiyr, and began thinking slowly up her body, without opening her eyes, trying to calm and still herself.

Toes, count them, one... two.. three..

Her voice had a wheedling nasality to it, and an accent that uniquely combined the worst of the low and high Zeltivan cants, "Doctor Philomena Lefting, Master... Fannits."

Calves, knees, thighs... oh god, this skirt is clinging to me, if I have to run away I'll rip it... no, no, thighs, hips, belly...

She opened her eyes, the cloth-clad fingers now working up the row of buttons with a quiver about them. But yes, I'm calming, slowly, I am learning...

Yes, little stupid, you're learning, sure as rain, why in a decade you'll nearly seem as normal as the slow-born daughter of a fish-wife.

Her eye twitched just slightly, but she managed a somewhat unconvincing imitation of a smile, which while it did involve a curl of lip, most decidedly did NOT reach up to her eyes or forehead. She scrambled to her feet, and... sort of curtsied. It was something vaguely related to a curtsy, perhaps by marriage instead of blood, made particularly bad by the way skirt suckered onto her thighs as she did it. Her shirt was mis-buttoned, an extra bone button at the top, and an extra buttonhole hanging off the bottom. It did not... really fit her either, and between being both soaked through and obviously cut for someone with significantly less flesh about the bust, the buttons strained a bit over her chest.

"Sorry. You stair-tilled me a bit. Have we met?"

She immediately was aware of the stupidity of the question, but correcting it seemed harder than simply soldiering on, so she simply strained the scared little smile a little harder against her teeth.

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 6th, 2015, 12:36 pm

The woman seemed, well, nervous, if her furtive glances in Orin’s directions and her scramble to clothe herself more properly were any indication. Orin understood her aversion to being half-dressed in front of a new acquaintance. After all, Orin could barely bring himself to strip in front of people he knew well. In fact, he avoided it at all costs, sometimes going to ridiculous lengths to conceal his nudity, even from Sylvette. And that one was quite a feat considering that they lived together and shared quarters. It was a completely platonic relationship, of course, since Orin still thought of Sylvette as the little sister he never had. All in all, being undressed before others was probably one of Orin’s worst nightmares. With that in mind he felt himself compelled to give this woman at least the illusion of privacy. It did seem to be causing her some distress, seeing as she immediately reached into her bag for a wet blouse which she started putting on as quickly as possible. So quickly that she buttoned it wrong. Orin hadn’t actually looked, partially because he considered himself too much of a gentlemen, but mostly because he’d be awfully embarrassed on her behalf. But she had no way of knowing that. ”I’m sorry, I’ll give you a chime or two to present yourself, how’s that?” Orin scooted a bit further away and turned around, presenting his back to the woman. That way the two of them would still be able to hold a conversation but she’d have time to make herself presentable and calm down if she needed to. Of course it also left Orin horribly exposed but he didn’t get the sense of danger from this woman that he did from some of the fighters he’d met. And she hadn’t been carrying any weapons Orin could see, so unless they were hidden, or in that pack of hers, she’d be reduced to using her bare hands. Orin didn’t know much about combat and he wasn’t all that strong but even he thought he could overpower this tiny woman. But Orin thought the chances of a battle were slim to none. No the only unusual thing about her, beyond her presence in Abura and her state of dress had been a few tattoos. Orin hadn’t lingered, but they had seemed like names. He filed that information away to ask about later. Especially seeing as she was doing her best to cover them up Orin felt they were probably too personal to reveal to a stranger.

She started up speaking, but couldn’t seem to get the words out. Orin was worried but she hadn’t exactly given him the signal that she felt comfortable enough to face him, so he simply listened to her, straining to catch any signs of what was going on back there. She seemed to be breathing quite deeply, the same way Orin might when he was trying to recover his wits when his tongue ran away from him in the middle of a conversation. Orin frowned and felt compelled to make this easier on her. ”I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come upon you like this. If you’d prefer, I could leave.” However, almost before Orin could finish she spoke up again, and Orin decided that whatever had been bothering her she had probably gotten over it. Her accent was unusual and quite unlike anything Orin had ever heard before. He tried to identify it, but failed spectacularly. Maybe she’d enlighten him as to where she came from.

Orin chuckled as she seemed to butcher his name. ”It’s Fenix, pronounced Fee-nix, Ms.--I mean Doctor--Lefting. But don’t worry about that, please, call me Orin ma’am.” Orin found the very thought of anyone, especially someone older in years, calling him Master Fenix absolutely hilarious. He was much too simple and much too unimportant to gain a moniker like that. No he was just Orin, plain and unadorned. Dr. Lefting, on the other hand, was apparently someone of great importance. Orin grinned, even though she couldn’t see it. This was turning out to be much more fascinating than he’d even imagined. ”So, then, doctor, have you saved many lives?” Orin didn’t really want the nitty-gritty details but that comment was his best attempt to keep the dialogue flowing between the two of them. Usually Orin hated to be the one driving the conversation, but Dr. Lefting apparently had more trouble talking than even Orin did. Orin actually found it quite endearing.

The sound of her getting to her feet caused Orin to glance behind him. She curtsied to him but it was rather an awkward affair. Her damp skirts got tangled and her shirt was still not only misbuttoned but was ill-fitting as well. Orin turned away again, trying to calm his furiously flushed cheeks. No one ever curtsied to him seriously. But her smile, even if it hadn’t been quite genuine, was obviously meant to show this was a true curtsy. Orin was not the type of person people showed respect to. Actually, he was always the one showing respect to others since he’d been on the bottom of the pecking order for his entire life. So Dr. Lefting’s treatment of him felt odd and simply wrong in too many ways.

Still, he had to respond in kind, and he chose to do so in a way that would hopefully make the situation between the two of them more comfortable. Orin wasn’t the best with humor, but he’d give it a try. Getting to his feet and turning to face her, Orin sketched out a bow that was far too deep. It was an overly gallant gesture, with one hand outstretched wide and the other placed over his heart, designed to show off how ridiculous the idea of bowing was to Orin. He was so far forward that when he tried to straighten he actually stumbled a few steps before catching his balance. Hopefully bows and curtsies weren’t simple courtesies where Dr. Lefting was from or Orin had just ruined any chance of getting her to open up to him. But he grinned widely, and it covered his whole face, to show that he hadn’t meant any offense. ”Perhaps it would be best if we simply dispensed with such pleasantries, Dr. Lefting. If that’s all right with you of course.” Orin didn’t know the proper procedure for cases such as these, so he was basically trying to make it up on the spot. ”Is there anywhere else you’d prefer to chat? Or that I could escort you too? I’m not sure the docks are the most appropriate locale for an evening rendezvous. Unfortunately the island was a complete mystery and Orin didn’t know of any other places he could take Dr. Lefting too. She obviously didn’t live in the Hospitality House or Orin was sure he would have seen her before. Still, that spoke to her knowledge of Abura and perhaps she’d be willing to show Orin the sights. ”Have you been on the isle long? I’m a relative newcomer, you see, and I confess myself entirely ignorant to basically, well, everything.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Philomena on June 7th, 2015, 1:56 am

Being from a university town, the title 'doctor' to Minnie had little to anything to do with medicine - or at least no more to medicine than to, say, theology, or law, or any other field of study. Thus the gentleman not only commits a faux pas, but Minnie does not even realize its committal.

"Saved a... a life, Master Phannix? I'm... I... I once saved a bird, who had had her wing dapped in a tar-pot. I wanny quite sure how it done it, actually, for I dinny find it by the ship'ards. But I dinny know how to feed it proper, and it died, anyway, I... I suppose I didn't... didn't do a good job o' it."

She stumbled the story out just as the man went into a rather... florid bow. More like something a lover in an opera might offer. Her mind was unsure whether this was the queer gallantry of the Sylirans, or the great lanky thing was mocking her. And the offer that followed was a peculiar one, so rather than answer it right away, she simply rambled on in the story, semi-conscious, "But I di' read a fine poem over her afore th'burryin'. Are you a student of poetry? An old Diraline, nae much remembered now --" she launches into the poem with a reedy, sing-song voice:

Where is the fine wood in autumn?
Where the hedge blossoms?
Where is the child the mother dandled?
And where the bird inscribing echoes of the sun with her thousand quills?

She interrupts herself, but more like a footnote than statement, "That bird wordplay was what made me pick it, of course, very common amongst the Heroics in the open verse poems,"

The wood is stripped to her shivering nudity,
The blossoms fallen to mulch sodden earth.
The child is lain in her coffin,
And the birds lay like scattered leaves across the spray.

Dira, I am tired, sing me to sleep,
Dira, I have no more song,
Give me thine to sing, myself:
To the wood, to the blossom, the child and bird,
And then to my own parched lip.

She finally processes his request, then promptly ignores it - foreigners are queer creatures indeed, if they think new acquaintance is poorly made by a pier-side - where else is more apt to bring new acquaintance?

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 7th, 2015, 3:08 am

Orin bit his lip, extremely puzzled. She’d completely ignored his request that she call him Orin, and while she was closer the second time, she still butchered the pronounciation of his last name slightly. Still, Orin chose not to correct her again. It would probably just make everything worse. This conversation wasn’t anything like Orin had ever experienced before and he had no idea how to continue it. When in doubt, it was best to simply start at the beginning. Orin tried a simple smile although he was sure there was still quite a bit of confusion present on his face. ”I’m terribly sorry Dr. Lefting. It appears we got off on the wrong foot here. I accept all the blame of course.” Actually in Orin’s mind it was she who was acting oddly, quite unlike anyone else he’d ever met. But it could simply be a peculiar trait of wherever it was the woman was actually from. Although Orin hadn’t been many places in his life, he’d quickly learned that what he’d assumed to be the norm were actually quite specific to the fortress city. So this strange feeling of being slightly off-balanced in every interaction, which exacerbated his already pre-existing anxiety when coming into contact with people he didn’t know well, was actually becoming commonplace. That was a scary thought, but not one Orin currently had much time to pursue. He was still trying his hardest to discover where exactly it all went wrong and how he could fix it. ”So Dr. Lefting, where exactly are you from? I know this will sound rather silly but I believe we somehow ran into a rather substantial cultural barrier.” Orin turned his shy smile, which was just the very corners turning up, into what he hoped was a winning smile.

Charming would forever be out of his reach. But he could manage innocently earnest if he put his mind to it. And when he so chose, his manners were impeccable. It was a product of growing up in numerous different households, all of which were watching his every move and listening to every word, trying to catch him in any infractions. Of which there had been many, both minor and major. He didn’t do it all the time, because it took a supreme effort of will to essentially change his persona. And it left him in a foul mood for bells afterwards. Still, if the curtsy and her reaction to his over exaggerated bow were any indication she seemed to operate in a different world than the one Orin was accustomed to. He knew it, for the rare occasions when The Rearing Stallion was hired to either cater or host a private event. And some of the regular patrons came from the upper class as well. Orin was observant enough to ape it, but it was hard work.

Still smiling, Orin finally decided to inquiry as gently as he knew how into Dr. Lefting’s life. From her story about the bird he gathered that she wasn’t a physician at all, which was perplexing. The only doctor’s Orin knew of were those who treated patients and dealt with wounds and illnesses. Still it was entirely possible that it had different meanings wherever she came from. He was about to ask when she launched into a poem. Her words were practically hypnotic, and Orin found himself entranced, not even minding when she broke off in a quiet aside that he nevertheless heard. He had absolutely no idea what any of it meant, but it filled him with melancholy. When she finished, he just let the moment last between them, as the echoes of the last phrase faded away. Seeing as they weren’t going anywhere and she had apparently come to the end of the poem, Orin figured it was safe for him to resume speaking. ”That was beautiful, and a fitting ode to Dira, who claims us all in the end.” Dira wasn’t a goddess Orin worshipped, but only a dullard would ignore her and fail to give her the proper respect. ”Unfortunately, when it comes to poetry I have to confess myself as a simpleton. I am completely ignorant you see.” Orin chuckled wryly. It was true. His expression came out in his foods, and definitely not in his words. ”That honor goes to my friend, who also traveled with me. However, if you have any more such as that I would be your most eager pupil.” The flowerly language was starting to wear on him and he could feel the beginnings of a headache forming between his temples. He’d need a nice session of something relaxing after this, and he honestly didn’t know where on Abura he could find that. As he caught sight of his pole in the corner of his eye, he remembered that fishing did bring a sort of inner serenity. Perhaps that would help soothe his mind. Still, he was gauging Dr. Lefting’s personality and wouldn’t let himself slip quite yet.

Orin coughed politely to hopefully signal that he was changing the subject slightly. ”So I take it you are not a physician and that I was mistaken earlier.” He inclined his head after curbing his first impulse to shrug. ”You appear to be a woman of much learning.” In Orin’s book, compliments were never a bad choice, especially when they were true. That poem was elaborate and she’d spoken it from memory. That, or she’d made it up on the spot. Either way spoke to both a sharp intellectual mind and an artistic spirit. He didn’t have either of those, but he was more than willing to bask in the presence of someone who did. If only he could get her to open up to him a bit more. Then he’d feel more comfortable about this whole situation. As it stood Orin very much felt as if he were walking on eggshells. Or perhaps on the edge of some abyss, with one single misstep capable of sending him plunging down. That was never a pleasant feeling and he could feel his stomach flutter as if butterflies had decided to start flitting around.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Philomena on June 9th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Minnie crooked her neck slightly at the strange boy (well... at any rate, a boy in her estimation) and his odd mannerisms. He had seemed queer, before, but now he grew formal again. Minnie frowned. IT reminded her of the condescension that the richer students offered her at University. But... he did not seem particularly well-to-do. IF anything, the opposite. His hands looked nicked rough with real work, his face a bit strained, perhaps, his clothes nothing special. If anything, he looked like a fisherman's son, particularly with the poles he carried.

And so terribly young.

Of course, she considered, he was much farther from his home than she was from hers, and but newly arrived atop that. Harmless, maybe even kind. I'm thinking too hard, I'm being suspicious. What would Mara do? No - no, maybe not that. She snorted audibly at the amusing thought, though there was, of course, externally, no apparent reason for the sound. No, what would Semiyr do, then? Or Lanie... yes...

Minnie-la, smile at him. He needs a friend. And what stories he could tell us, perhaps!

Minnie smiled, and relaxed a bit, and the timid eyes grew... well, not exactly welcoming, but tentative, at least.

"Please, y'dunny need be so formal wit' me. I'm Minnie, I used to teach stories and songs," the word, in her mind, sounds less forbidding than literature and poetry, "Though I can't sing, I'm afraid, worth a miza's shimmer. I'm sure you have a knowing of many things I don't. The heat of the day is still about, ha' you ha' your supper?"

From her satchel, she takes out a fish - a beautiful shining thing, slit down the belly, with gleaming flesh, still fresh and pink from the sea's breath, and with the faint scent of saltwater about it. Also, as raw and unseasoned as a cow-girl with a broadsword.

"I've t'much for jus' me, and to be honest, I canny stomach too much all at once of this manner of food."
x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 9th, 2015, 6:51 pm

Orin ran a nervous hand through his hair. The woman hadn't responded to his normal self. She hadn't reacted to the slightly more polished persona he had to put on for those rare occasions he was invited to formal events. He had a rare headache from even trying it, but rubbing his temples would just give away how stressed he was feeling. He was running out of tricks and ideas rapidly. And through it all he got the sense that she didn't trust him. Of course were Orin in her shoes he doubted he would react well either. After all he was a complete stranger who had accosted her and the proceeded to bewilder her with words that she probably didn't even understand. It was disheartening and Orin felt his shoulders slump in defeat.

All he'd been trying to do was make a new friend and he'd botched it. And he couldn't even say he was surprised. He knew how he came across, awkward and far too eager and he knew he that he said too much too soon, being unable to control himself. In fact if he was meeting himself he probably wouldn’t be his own friend. It was a sad thought, but true. And the worst was that even though Orin knew all this, knew that time and time again he sabotaged his own attempts to reach out because he let his enthusiasm drown out his common sense, he never seemed to learn. Nineteen years of life and yet his ability to talk to others was as bad as it probably had been the day he was born. He could count the number of people who tolerated his antics on his fingers, yet he kept telling himself that this time would be different, kept hoping that this stranger would somehow treat him with acceptance, kept praying that something would change. But the world didn’t work like that and it was time to grow up. If the world wasn’t forgiving, then Orin just had to try harder.

He was about to apologize when a subtle change came over Dr. Lefting. Orin held his breath, not even believing what his eyes were insisting was in front of him. She seemed to open up, letting her guard down slightly. It was really that much of a difference, perhaps just a softening of the lines around the mouth or an easing of the shoulders. Whatever it was, it took a moment for Orin to process it, and when his mind finally connected the dots, it felt like an enormous weight had been lifted. His worries of before could be put off for yet another day. While it wasn’t acceptance Dr. Lefting was offering, it was also not a rejection either. It was enough though, for Orin to grasp the hope that sustained him and pull it tight. He dropped his act, recognizing that it wasn’t necessary. Besides, it wasn’t worth it. Orin wasn’t even sure he wanted to be friends with anyone who needed him to act that precisely. There was a reason he only pulled it out for business reasons after all and the rest of the time he let himself be himself. And Dr. Lefting assured him it wasn’t needed.

So Orin took a deep breath and with it exhaled his doubts. In its wake he felt himself calming down and opening up to the woman now before him. He smiled, this time without a trace of nervousness, although it was still a bit shy. He’d proceed as slowly and cautiously as he knew how from here on out, but he’d do it as Orin. ”Well if that poem from earlier was any indication, you were, are a wonderful teacher. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard anything so beautiful.” It had been haunting and though Orin couldn’t remember the words, he knew some of its appeal had come from Dr. Lefting’s delivery. ”Oh I can’t sing either! Not a note. So you’re in good company.” It was true, although Orin actually hadn’t ever tried. The only songs he ever got to hear were from celebrations growing up, where he’d be doing his best to avoid the festivities, and from entertainers at the tavern, where Orin had been too busy working to pay attention. So he just knew some of the most basic songs of his childhood, lullabies and the rare song from Mithryn’s dances

When Dr. Lefting tried to reassure him that he had learning of his own, Orin blushed. ”Well, maybe, but nothing fancy like poetry.” While Orin was proud of his abilities in the kitchen, he knew that most people wouldn’t be impressed all that much by someone whose only claim to fame was culinary knowledge. After all, food wasn’t really as important to other people as it was to Orin. And even if he had been confident that his skills as a cook would make people respect him, he still wouldn’t flaunt them. He didn’t want that type of attention. Dr. Lefting jumped ahead to her next question quickly. She seemed to dart around in conversation, moving from one subject to the next before Orin really had a time to wrap his mind around it. He was just about to speak when she pulled open her bag removing a rather large fish. Orin took it from her gingerly, examining it. It wasn’t a species he recognized, but generally speaking most fish had similar methods of preparation. Her last comment almost went unnoticed since he was so caught up in his ideas about what he should do with this bounty of the sea. ”Oh? Is there something else you’d prefer to eat? I don’t know much about a lot of things, but give me a fire and some time and I can whip up almost anything you might ask.” His words were matter of fact, seeing as he was still distracted by the fish. As soon as his ears caught up with his mouth, he flushed again, no doubt turning a rather pleasant shade of crimson. ”I ah, didn’t mean to brag. I’m a chef, that’s what I do, so I guess you could say food is my...thing.” Orin shrugged, embarrassed. He’d really put his foot in his mouth this time around. Clearing his throat awkwardly, he tried to recover some of his composure but he doubted he’d succeed. ”I could, I mean, assuming you’d want to, I can cook you supper too, if you haven’t had it yet either. Anything you’d like as long as there’s some place here I can get the proper ingredients.” It wasn’t actually bragging if it was true, Orin decided, even if it did make him sound pompous. But the cat was out of the bag now so Orin might as well make the most of the situation.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Philomena on June 10th, 2015, 2:37 am

What inspires courage in the hearts in the timid? Fair mother lust of course! And the words 'I could cook you supper' fill Minnie with an unshakable lust. Abura, she continued to be convinced, was a holy, beautiful place, and she felt a great reverence for it, but the dining... left something to be desired. For all her wonders in other areas, Semiyr frequently forgot to trouble about eating altogether, and when reminded, she'd disappear for a bit, reappear with a gutted fish and a bit of shredded kelp, and turn back to working as she swallowed it.

Minnie had, for some time, found the feel of it nauseating in her mouth, and the flavor felt, quite viscerally, wrong: fish was for frying, or grilling, or roasting, or boiling, or stewing, or chowder, or any number of other things. And kelp? Kelp was for tea and fritters. Minnie had, one day gone out with a fair measure of embarrassment to see if she could manage some sort of cooking of a steak of some fatty fish, but had ended with a burnt outside, a rubbery middle layer, and raw cold innards. She'd given up on the whole debacle, having never learned to cook herself. There was, of course, the Hospitality House, too, and she had tried this more than once, but she felt guilty for it, since she no longer slept there.

And here, from the very ether, for no price but a pleasant smile and half a raw fish, there appeared... a chef! A man prepared to transform the fish into actual, palpable food! Syliran food, to be sure, and who knew what devilish things the Syrians ate, but still, it would be cooked, and seasoned, at the very least!

Minnie's eyes were bright with the pleasure of it, "You... you are a cook? You cook... you cook for a living? On the ship? No, no, I would ha' heared of a ship's cook who was Syliran, I'm sure. No... I..."

She felt in her bag stupidly, as if she would find a cellar of salt and sprigs of rosemary underneath her wax tablet, but of course found nothing.

"I... yes... yes at market, here, there must... must be a little something, sea-salt, ships' stores, food... I will gladly pay you."

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 10th, 2015, 4:14 am

Orin rocked back on his heels. The look in Dr. Lefting’s eyes was shocking, especially compared to her earlier behavior. Her transformation from the quiet, unassuming woman of before was nothing short of miraculous. She had been wary, Orin knew it, unsure of his intentions and he didn’t blame her. After all, strangers could mean any manner of harm, although he really didn’t see anyone on Abura who would bother to engage in violence or crime of any kind. There wouldn’t exactly be a point, since the vast majority of residents could just fly or swim away at the first signs of danger. He didn’t think that he looked much like a thug but he didn’t know anything about this woman’s upbringing. Or even really where she was from, at the very least. All he knew was that she apparently was a teacher of some sort, not a medical professional at all. No, she dealt with songs and stories, and her grasp of poetry was nothing short of remarkable. Orin still was a bit unclear as to why he had to refer to her as doctor, but this newfound understanding between them was too thin and insubstantial for him to risk prying information out of her. No, Orin had to work through this carefully, and let whatever tidbits she cared to drop be integrated into the bigger picture of her life.

She was like a wounded animal, perhaps a bird. Or at least, that’s what Orin assumed, having never approached a wounded animal before in his life. But he’d heard that you were supposed to come near with great caution, making yourself as small and unassuming as possible. If they were provoked in any way, they would lash out, being scared that they were being preyed on. So slow and steady would have to win this particular race. It wasn’t as if Orin was in any sort of rush. The members of the Order had almost cloistered themselves in meetings, leaving him free to explore the island on his own time. The captain and crew seemed to be awaiting orders from above as well. But Orin had never really fit in with them. He wasn’t of the world of wind and wave, of storm and sea, the same way they were. He’d walked amongst them for a short time, talked their talk, walked their walk. But both he and them had recognized that Orin needed solid ground beneath not the rolling deck of a ship. They didn’t begrudge him, but it left him as an outsider once again. He’d been an outsider most of his life, be it in Mithryn or in Syliras, on the ship, and now, here. He wasn’t a member of any larger organization. He wasn’t special. He didn’t have anything to boast about beyond the million ways he knew to fillet a fish. Once again, a crushing loneliness nearly rose up to swamp him, but Orin had a few weapons with which to combat it. First of all, he threw his bond with Sylvette against it, chipping away at the edges. His bondmate would always love him unconditionally, even if they had a lot of trouble getting along on a day to day basis. Next, he pulled his faith that tomorrow would be a better day and held it up like a candle in the dark. It burned away his doubts enough that he could shove the remnants to one side. He had a conversation to continue, after all.

Dr. Lefting seemed enthralled by the idea of Orin cooking. Either that or she had gone into some weird state of shock. Since neither of them were doctors, Orin didn’t know. He scuffed one foot against the stones of the dock, suddenly shy, like a child who had a toy they wanted to share but didn’t really know how. ”It’s...nothing really. I mean, yes I cook, I’m a chef. But anyone could do what I do if they put their mind to it. Nothing like mastering words the way you did.” Orin pressed his hands together, linking his fingers and spinning his thumbs around each other. It was an action he took when he was uncomfortable and nervous. He really didn’t think much of his own abilities. After all, it hadn’t exactly gotten him recognized in Mithryn or Syliras as anything but strange. No one there had appreciated him so Dr. Lefting’s sudden regard seemed misguided somehow. But Orin didn’t have the heart to tell her so, especially since this was the most animated and excited she’d been in his presence. At least he could correct her misconception about his current job. ”No, I mean, yes. I mean, I was the ship’s cook and I am from Syliras. That much is true, although I was only a ship’s cook for the past season. Before that I worked in a tavern, just simple wholesome fare and now…” Orin trailed off. It suddenly struck him that in this strange place full of fantastic creatures who ate everything raw, there was little need for his services. When he resumed the thread of his speech, there was a hint of anxiety pushing his words. ”Now I guess I’m unemployed.” Looking at Dr. Lefting with his own set of half-desperate eyes, he continued. ”Unless of course you were looking to hire the services of a private chef.” He had been working since he was old enough to remember. Idle hands bred laziness and laziness led to evil. It had been the mantra of one of his guardians growing up, he couldn’t remember who now. It had driven him crazy then, but now that he was faced with it he suddenly realized the truth in that simple statement.

Orin placed a hand out in front of Dr. Lefting who seemed to have spiraled into some sort of strange muttering. ”Slow down there! I promise you I’m not going anywhere.” He hoped that would be enough to snap her out of whatever she had worked herself in to. Regardless, he simply wouldn’t hear of her paying for more of his dinner. ”That’s out of the question, I insist. I will purchase the rest of tonight’s supper. It’s only fair seeing as you have provided not only this fish, but your company as well.” Orin quickly went through a mental inventory of everything he had that he could use. Unfortunately, he came up with essentially nothing. The ship’s supplies were cut off to him now that they had made landfall. And there hadn’t been anything left over that Orin would actually have considered using for this. Shaking his head ruefully he smiled cheerfully at Dr. Lefting. ”It seems like I’ll have to go to the market after all if I’m to prepare a proper meal for us.” He was positively giddy at the idea of having another mouth to feed. The sailors would eat slop if it was put before them, and he had despaired of ever getting them to appreciate any of the finer points of his cooking. He still held out hope for Dr. Lefting, though. Only time would really tell. Orin was about to bound off, practically bouncing up and down with the need to get going. Unfortunately there was one rather large hurdle that was stopping him in his track. ”Ah...Dr. Lefting, where exactly is this market? Perhaps a guided tour might be in order as well.”
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes