OOC Info [OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

This is Endrykas' OOC thread. Feel free to use it for any sort of chatter

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

[OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 2nd, 2016, 1:05 am

Great, thank you Amunet! :)

Credit Goes to Prophet for the beautiful Signature!
Caesi Starguide
Player

Words: 191870
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on June 7th, 2016, 11:15 pm

I had a thought.

No, it didn't hurt.

How would you guys feel about a map depicting the locations of PCs and their pavilions?
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Amunet on June 7th, 2016, 11:22 pm

it could work but might need to be kept flexible. since their homes are mobile, it can change from time to time, it may cause updating havoc. on the upside it could solidify things as a point of reference.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Prophet on June 7th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Amunet wrote:it could work but might need to be kept flexible. since their homes are mobile, it can change from time to time, it may cause updating havoc. on the upside it could solidify things as a point of reference.

It would certainly change. I was thinking about a conversation I had with a Founder how most people in Endrykas would know or at least recognize one another. Since the businesses are all in the same general vicinity after each move, it holds to logic that pavilions would tend to cluster in the same pattern.

The application would be something like "Amunet came out, got on her horse and headed towards the Wind-knotted Gates. On her way she passed the Dawnwhisper pavilion and noticed a rather unusual amount of activity then made a note to stop by later and check things out." Simplistic but that could be eluding to the celebration of Seirei's twins.

I just thought it might be a useful tool for reference and help tie the city together. Sometimes I read our threads and I don't get the sense of a community. It just feels like open space. In other cities, you can look at a CS and see where a PC lives. As Drykas, we can't do that so I had this little idea and wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Khida on June 8th, 2016, 12:09 am

What about marking the area claimed by a 'herd', rather than individual pavilions? Or in addition to? That might help foster both small- and large-scale community.

It is very common that pavilions with similar or complementary craft herd together so that they may share resources in a bartering system... A herd of gatherer pavilions will almost always be seen camping near hunters; they may also be near the bow craftsmen and hunting animal breeders.

The Herds are organized in a swarm of migrating districts that change positions within Endrykas but still stay grouped together according to skills that complement each other.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Amunet on June 8th, 2016, 12:14 am

Thats why i purposely put Amunet's tents of her and her brother right smack inbetween the Riverflower and known pavilions she knows will help her watch her brother and her things. considering how much she travels with her work and other things.

How would you mark those who are not large enough or of a pavilion officially?
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Prophet on June 8th, 2016, 1:08 am

Khida wrote:
What about marking the area claimed by a 'herd', rather than individual pavilions? Or in addition to? That might help foster both small- and large-scale community.

It is very common that pavilions with similar or complementary craft herd together so that they may share resources in a bartering system... A herd of gatherer pavilions will almost always be seen camping near hunters; they may also be near the bow craftsmen and hunting animal breeders.

The Herds are organized in a swarm of migrating districts that change positions within Endrykas but still stay grouped together according to skills that complement each other.

While somewhat true, the grouping of pavilions is generally done by clan. I've discussed this with Gossamer and she was the one who imparted the wagon wheel design which inspired the linkmap. It has to do with the Web more than anything. Ankals weave a web around their pavilions and tie into their clan's web which is then tied to the Big Web. Also, typically speaking, most of these 'herds' would fall into a single clan. While individuals may practice any skills they choose, pavilions tend to stick with the strengths of their clan which is what provides them with identity.

In regards to how it would look and work, that's the easy part. I have everyone tell me where they set up camp then I put it on a separate map. It's not about mapping pavilions so much as marking player locations. This is so players know where all of the PCs make camp. Endrykas needs some life breathed into the city. Since there are no real landmarks or fantastic structures to include in our posts, we are left with just the grass and each other. A better knowledge of the layout would help improve that in my opinion.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 8th, 2016, 1:50 am

I think knowing where another PC makes camp would be a great idea. As mentioned before, they do indeed move around quite often, but if that PC stays near the Riverflower that should not be a problem. As Amunet mentioned she keeps her Pavilion near wherever the Riverflower may be, so a PC would notice her Pavilion when passing the Riverflower. Since the businesses typically do not change position often and stay in the wheel formation, no matter where they are. It makes sense, well, in my opinion.

I always thought of it as a Clan sticking together though not always close by they are still near the same vicinity. "so-and-so" Pavilion of the Amethyst Clan may prefer to stay close to the Guided Horse since that Pavilion is known for importing horses. Although in some cases a pavilion may not be close to their specific clan due to 'such-and-such' circumstance it would still be nice to see where other PC Pavilions are generally located.

Instead of saying "Caesi rode up to the Starguide Pavilion." It could give that sentence more detail and a better understanding as to exactly where the Starguide Pavilion typically resides. Or if someone is trying to give direction to a PC as to where this certain Pavilion is located, instead of making it vague, you could actually describe the general location of said Pavilion. I have made a few threads using NPCs to teach Caesi different skills and the location had been so vague and confusing lol.

So I am excited to see this map! I think it would add a better sense of community for the players! :D

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caesi Starguide on June 9th, 2016, 8:19 pm

I like using locations in my threads, whether it be Moresta River or Lomack Tower. Well, now that we are in the Summer Grounds, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these locations:

Moontrail Well
Saer Ruins
Itone
Heartstone Cairn

Perhaps I have missed them somewhere, but I have looked because I am very interested in using these places in my threads. But I do not know anything about these places and did not want to get in trouble by "assuming" things about them. So if anyone has any vague (OR DETAILED!) information about them, I would love to know myself :D

MAP :

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Azmere on June 9th, 2016, 9:49 pm

Saer Ruins is the remains of a pre-Valterrian tower that was probably owned by a mage. Endrykas will pass close to it this year so the travel won't be terribly far from the city. Travel away from Tent City is always dangerous but moreso in Summer because of the proximity to Xy. Also, animals and predators will be much bolder in the warmer weather especially near water sources.

Itone is a mod-only location.

I'm waiting to hear back about the well and cairn.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext