[Traveler's Row] Acclimatization (Altaira Readva)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Khalatinu on December 13th, 2013, 9:05 pm

1st Day of Winter 513AV

On passing the city's gates, Khalatinu stood surrounded by its immense walls. They seemed grander from inside - standing there; tremendous and elevated, gazing upon the city in perpetuity. Was it in spite that they cast their monumental shadows over him? To block out the sun's balmy rays that had kept his olive, desert-seasoned skin from this horrid horripilation? - No! They were but servants to his security, erected there to be bodies taking blows on his behalf and keeping undesirables from his presence.

Perishing the thought, Khalatinu turned to look at the various buildings that stood in the courtyard. They were nothing special, he though, dirty things of dull gray brick shorn of any notable ornamentation.
He precipitated onward, not sure of his destination, yet with a step that indicated the opposite. Glancing around he looked for somewhere he could rest, somewhere cheap.

A tired, weary pain began creeping up his legs when he finally arrived at something that resembled a modest lodging. It was built in to the city wall - miserable and not unlike some sort of a prison. He scowled at its sight, even though his previous homes would not be any worse for wear, were they closer in luxury to the this wretched hole in a wall. Lacking alternatives however he looked around one last time before approaching its entrance and, despite some hesitation, disappearing inside.
Khalatinu
Player

Words: 7356
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 8:23 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Postby Altaira Readva on December 14th, 2013, 1:25 am

Bird Speak | Common | Vani | Others
oocI assumed morning, but let me know if it is different :P Its an easy fix (:
Oh, and you can interpret my writing however you wish! Whether it is Khal she ran into, or he's just close by and makes a comment - go with whatever best befits your character :P

Altaira was slotted the afternoon shift - with the rising in the number of those working in store, a schedule of sorts had been developed. Given the height of Syna, there were still a few bells until she'd be required to begin performing the repetitive tasks that were expected of her talents. Which, to her dismay, largely included studying when customers were scarce. Books and written knowledge seemed to be a preference in the store, with many of the tattered and torn manuscripts written in the Mistress's own hand - either copied from another work, or compiled herself from her own vast knowledge.

That didn't quite sit well with her kelvic mind. If she was to learn about such a theory heavy subject, she needed it done in a way that was different to books and writings. She needed to feel the differences in the earth and the textures of the plant. She bursted out of her room with renewed vigor, her clothes plain and hair a mess - but what she planned to do until work came calling, looking prim and proper was hardly acceptable.

Everything was going rather well until she rounded a corner with profound speed and hit someone, seeming to give them a greater knock than she felt herself. "Gods, are you alright?" Regret quickly gnawed in her stomach, it was the fault of her own, and no other. She winced as she thought briefly on the kind of person she hit - would they complain or accept the apology?
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Words: 279063
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khalatinu on December 14th, 2013, 9:23 pm

The interior of Traveler's Row did not exceed the expectations that its humble exterior set. There were doors on each side of its narrow corridors which presumably lead to cell-like apartments. Khalatinu thought he ought abhor the idea of spending any considerable amount of time in such a place, yet his tired body, chilled by the cool winter air, seemed to warm up to its new abode disconcertingly fast, in spite of his own reservations.

He took off his weathered coat, allowing the pair of arms, heretofore tucked under the human-tailored garb, some room to breathe. Only just then noticing that they had gone numb during their awkward confinement, he shook them and waited for the feeling to pass, after which he took the coat into his lower left hand, and proceeded down the hallway, in search of someone who could point him to a room.

Approaching a junction where the corridor took a turn to the right, something suddenly slammed into him, almost taking him off balance. He groaned when his tired muscles convulsed in protest as he struggled not to fall, then upon looking to see what had caused this troublesome incident, he saw a woman who wore an expression of concern:
"Gods, are you alright?"
As he regained his posture, he took a closer look at the culprit: She was not a human, he thought, he hadn't seen many living in Ahnatep, but he could definitely tell that there was something odd with her eyes. Unsure of where to put her, he merely frowned and groaned in exasperation:
"Watch where you're going, damn it!"
The city walls hadn't exactly done a stellar job at keeping undesirables away from him after all, he thought as he bent to pick up his coat.
Khalatinu
Player

Character sheet

Postby Altaira Readva on December 15th, 2013, 5:29 am

oocIt varies from person to person, thread to thread. Mostly, I find, that it boils down to how often posts are made. If you're taking it slow with mammoth posts, then people tend to do the multiple points of conversation at once kind of thing. If they're shorter and more often, then the conversation is usually one thing at a time.

"Watch where you're going, damn it!"Altaira's jaw went slack, before tightening as she ground her teeth. Oh, she just had to bump into a testy one, didn't she? She fought the desire to begin a fierce argument, though, more so because she knew that she would likely be held accountable. Instead she stood bolt upright, tight lipped with arms folded.

After a moment of deliberating, and eyes dropping as she watched the - human? - pick up coat, the repetition of his words wore through her. "I'm not too sure how your skills at observation fair, sir, but I'm not some being that is able to predict when other people are turning the same corner as I am."

She couldn't help the cocky tone, nor her conceited manner of holding herself. They were among her biggest faults, and they seriously out weighed her virtues. "If you have any problems with the layout of the building, be sure to take it out with Miss Owens. I'm sure she'll be glad to hear people complain of this she has no way to change." There was a mock cordiality to her, and she continued on with the little play.

After all, the man seemed new enough, whether he realised her tone and offense or not, she hadn't spoken to someone she wasn't working with for some time. "Anything else?" Was her final say, a misplaced sweetness to her. She was rather content by that point, her flood of anger simmering down significantly after she dealt what she considered heavy blows.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khalatinu on December 15th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Khalatinu was somewhat taken aback by the suddenly unapologetic sarcasm of the woman whose temperament he had obviously misjudged. He looked at her somewhat puzzled, though trying to appear dispassionate, as she went about lambasting him for his vexation with what was in his mind, a perfectly valid reaction to her reckless scuttling about. He had expected her contrition to deepen after his harsh response - he was after all, an Eypharian , and one with a demeanor commanding respect - Was he not?
The creeping doubt stung him, prompting him to wince slightly as the woman ended her diatribe.

"Anything else?"

It would have been a cordial phrase, were it not preceded by open animosity. She seemed to think very highly of herself, and the monolog she had delivered, which irked him to no end.

He could not stand that this human, or some half-breed thereof, thought that she had beaten him. Then, realizing how bothered he was, made it that much the worse.
His agitation showing in his voice he said:

“I might just do that, and while there, I might report your insufferable insolence! This would not stand where I come from - for your sort, whatever that might be, to act this way towards an Eypharian!”

He did not intend for his voice to rise as it did, nor to reveal the extent to which the woman’s insubmission had aggravated him. What’s more, somewhere in the back of his mind, his retort rang hollow; for while his claim might have held true for some others of his race, it had never applied to him. Refusing to acknowledge the nagging fact, he peered at Altaira, awaiting a response.
Khalatinu
Player

Character sheet

Postby Altaira Readva on December 17th, 2013, 2:02 am

She raised an eyebrow at him, her eyes falling southward as she gave him a harsh once over. Eypharian? One of Mistress Blackleaf's people? She'd heard that they were a kind vain and prideful, hateful towards humans - but the Mistress did not embody such traits. She was strict but kind, firm but not stiff. She was a woman who had the kelvic's respect since day one, and through her Altaira's opinion of the race seemed to have been higher than most. It seemed, however, that the opinions of the human populace were not as unfounded as she'd thought.

"Miss Owens will indeed take your report, no need to worry about that." It was a fair enough question, that was most certainly true. Altaira herself had run into trouble both thick and thin upon entering the city. She herself had gotten 'schooled,' perhaps she could take the honour of doing unto to the Eypharian, what was done unto herself? "Oh, and given you asked so very kindly - I'm kelvic."
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khalatinu on December 17th, 2013, 11:15 am

As the woman raised her eyebrows, it dawned on him that she was unaffected by his idle threats, and her gesture seemed to him an expression of cool disdain. A feeling of defeat sank into him, making him cringe slightly and disrupting the peer he had held.

"Miss Owens will indeed take your report, no need to worry about that."

He felt, though he would not admit it, that attempting to revive the argument would not serve him well - so he assumed a forced posture of composure and glanced casually down the corridor. The conception of Miss Owens that began forming in his mind was not that of an ally, given this woman’s willingness of bringing her up, she seemed a neutral party at best.

"Oh, and given you asked so very kindly - I'm kelvic."

Kelvic? He had heard of those before, a short-lived race, they were, to his understanding, more animals than people, which both injured and relived his somewhat bruised ego. He looked once again at her and said in a calmer tone, as if forgetting what had transpired and the words that were said:

“Miss Owens, would she be the one to talk to about renting a room in this place?” a semblance of harshness still remained in his voice, and the question had a slight undertone of a command.
Khalatinu
Player

Character sheet

Postby Altaira Readva on December 18th, 2013, 12:03 am

“Miss Owens, would she be the one to talk to about renting a room in this place?” Altaira blinked twice at the question, a frown taking form on her face. Given the way that he'd threatened her with a report of behavior - though, he was better of just hunting down a squire and waiting until those with a not-so-high opinion of her came knocking - she'd thought that he would have at least met her already. Not to mention the bitter twist and snarl of his words, and she debated whether or not to make the woman in question's race apparent or not.

"Ah, yes." She said, before gathering her bearings and gesturing in the correct direction. "Matilda Owens, she's a sweet little Konti." She kept her own sour tang to her tone, making it clear that the woman was of a race many respected to no end. "If she's not in, just ring the bell or take heed of the note that she's most likely left." A confused haze always seemed to take her when the conversation took such leaps, and it took a further moment or two before she was completely calmed.

She folded her arms and rocked on her heels for a moment, debating whether or not she wished to press the conversation further. "I'd take it that you're new in the wondrous bastion of Syliras?" She gave him another look over, frowning at his peculiar choice in attire.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khalatinu on December 18th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Khalatinu knew, by the way the Kelvic frowned, that the transition between threat and inquiry had been rather unsubtle. He wondered for a moment if he hadn’t squandered his chances for an answer. But then again, he thought, what choice did the she even leave him? Clearly, he couldn’t have just let slip, the brazen display of impudence that she had put on after the collision that she alone had caused! No, his had been the only response becoming of the situation the Kelvic put him in, and [i]it[\i] could count itself lucky that he decided not to push the issue further!

"Matilda Owens, she's a sweet little Konti…
…If she's not in, just ring the bell or take heed of the note that she's most likely left."

Khalatinu noted the emphasis that the Kelvic put on the race of the woman in question. He knew about the Konti - Eypherians held them in somewhat higher regard than most other races, or at least felt the need to expand upon the reasons for their superiority over them.

A short “I see,” was the only response he deigned to give as he glanced in the direction of the gesture denoting where Miss Owens was to be found. Glancing back at the woman he thought about walking off, when she decided to pursue a conversation: "I'd take it that you're new in the wondrous bastion of Syliras?"

He didn’t expect her to converse further. He almost thought to take it as repentance, however the frown with which she was examining him quickly nipped that delusion in its bud. He wasn’t sure if it was directed purely at him, or if, being half an animal, she was displeased with the fact that most of his attire consisted from what could be considered her kin. Passing his coat, the weight of which he began to feel after the thought notified him of it, into his lower right hand, he said, with some reluctance and not much cordiality in his tone:

“Yes, I am. But, I wouldn’t call it wondrous judging by what I’ve seen so far. And the knights who, from what I heard, fancy themselves owning this place, don’t do much do improve my opinion.”
Khalatinu
Player

Character sheet

Postby Altaira Readva on December 19th, 2013, 12:17 am

She ignored his manner of speech, figuring her own was less than kind, and focused more on the brilliance of the content within his words. "Words of advice," She said, ensuring to keep her voice quiet. "Don't. Insult. The Knights." It wasn't much for a beginning little piece of wisdom, but it was grand in scheme of the many little truths. "Unless, of course, you want to get on the city's bad side."

She paused for a moment, wondering which of little things and tidbits that she and others learned the hard way that could be imparted with out much pain and annoyance. Then it hit her, and she have a roll of her shoulders. "The squires, too." Her hard look ensured that there was a seriousness to her words. "They're the future Knights, and I doubt that they'd simply forgive and forget any run ins once they achieve a standing with power. At the same time, however, they're not nearly as hard as their patrons."

If only she had the opportunity to learn such valuable words before her own little adventures, though she couldn't deny that would have likely needed to experience it, regardless. Kelvics were often like that - they needed to touch the flame to learn it was hot. As much as she hated to admit it, she was no different to the rest of her kin. How did Eypharians learn, she wondered. Could she expect to be woken at obnoxious hours of the morning when the knights come knocking, or was he better suited to the place than she was?
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next