OOC Info [OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

This is Endrykas' OOC thread. Feel free to use it for any sort of chatter

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

[OOC Thread] Moving with the Herd

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on April 6th, 2016, 3:19 am

*pokes Azmere in the stomach gently* play nice with the other kids
Jasmine Stormblood
The Clan is Strength, The Clan is Life

Words: 263067
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 2:51 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 6th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Prophet wrote:Mizahar is a world comprised mostly of NPCs. The PCs that each of you play are the heroes, the villains, the difference-makers and the wild cards. NPCs are boring, run-of-the-mill type people with the occasional powerhouse or pillar. The pavilion lists are chocked full of powerhouse NPCs with monstrous skills. I will say again that this is in no way a blame game or finger pointing to the current players. NPCs and NPC pavilions enrich the game by making it full; more realistic.

NPC Pavilion Creation Guidelines:

• The Ankal must have Webbing at Competent or higher.
  • There can only be one (1) skill at master or two (2) at expert for the entire pavilion unless the number of created NPCs exceeds 10 at which point the allowable skills can be doubled. Every other skill must be listed at Competent or Novice.
  • 75% of the NPCs must have the pavilion's primary skill listed.
  • NPCs under the age of 18 cannot exceed 40 skill points.
  • NPCs under the age of 12 cannot exceed 30 skill points and cannot have any competent skills.

This seems reasonable to me. But maybe it should be limited further for most pavilions? My understanding has always been that some pavilions are stronger/better/more reputable than others. So maybe there could be guidelines for a strong pavilion with a good reputation, an average one with no real reputation to speak of, and a weak one which would be scorned by most?

And since the strong pavilions are likely to be the least common, perhaps ST permission would be needed to submit one where it would not be needed to submit an average or weak pavilion for approval?

A strong pavilion could use those guidelines, perhaps, where an average one couldn't be given any Master or Expert level skills, and there would be a max of say 5 Competent level skills for a pavilion with less than 10 members, and a max of 10 with one that has more than 10. Of that number, the ankal must have 3 of those Competent skills for a pavilion of under 10, and 5 for one with more. All NPCs would have to have their pavilion's primary skill, and couldn't have more than 10 skills total per NPC. Those under 18 would be limited to 20 skill points, and children under 12 would be limited to 10. Adults could be given 40 skill points, except for the ankal, who would be allowed more.

A weak pavilion could be limited even further. Two Competent level skills for the whole pavilion, which much go to the ankal; Webbing, and the pavilion's primary skill (who would then be allowed 1-2 more skills at novice level). All others must be novice level. Adults would get 20 skill points, and be allowed no more than 3-4 skills. Those under 18 would get 10 skill points, and those under 12 would get 5, which must be given to the pavilion's primary skill. And all NPCs would have to have the pavilion's primary skill.

Also, Wilderness Survival, Riding, and Horsemanship should be skills that all NPCs must have as they are so crucial to the Drykas people. The exception would be NPCs who don't have enough skill points allotted to them to allow them to have that many skills.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ixzo on April 6th, 2016, 6:09 pm

On that, I agree with you on the leveling thing, although that would get pretty complicated, or simply be bypassed (everyone will make a strong pavilion). Although I do want to point out that some of the main benefits of NPCs is to learn new skills. If all or most of the Pavilions had super weak skills, it'll be hard for PCs to find a way to learn something new without hunting down another PC that can and wants to (let alone stick around long enough) to train them.

I also think if you limit a weak pavilion to having two competent skills for all ten, and then require that there be certain skills they must have, you leave almost no room for whatever skills the creator wants to put in.

Honestly, of all cities, Endrykas has soooo many free floating NPCs. If you want to scale down some, I say toss those NPCs that don't belong to a location or a PC's pavilion.

In my opinion, I do think PCs should go through and read through the NPCs that are already there. I'm sure some people just want a hunting teacher so they make the NPC, don't wait for it to get approved, and suddenly they can learn from a master. There are probably like five hunting masters at this point xD. So for the player, it may be beneficial to sort through the NPCs that the city already has and see if you can use existing ones before making more.

In conclusion, I agree with the rules Prophet set out earlier, and on a side note, I think the PCs should read through existing NPCs before making more to fit their needs, else we run into the problem we have of too many and too powerful NPCs.
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Amunet on April 6th, 2016, 6:20 pm

please be aware that leveling concepts would require administration and upkeep by staff. That would get complicated quick and a lot of work for an understaffed site.

the leveling concept while cool, would not be plausible at this time.

Larger pavilions should be under moderator's influence and higher powered NPCs are definitely moderated individuals.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ixzo on April 6th, 2016, 6:28 pm

True, but they haven't been previously, which I think is what Prophet is getting at with these new rules. Not sure though, I don't read minds :P
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Prophet on April 6th, 2016, 8:34 pm

You're all partially correct.

Yes, it would be great to have tiered construction for pavilions.
Yes, it is all very complicated.
Yes, there are a zillion unused NPCs in the city.

Let me share a glimpse of the long term with all of you. Endrykas is a thriving city, one of the busiest on Mizahar. That is not a fact that I take for granted and I would like the trend to continue. So, the overarching goal is a friendly user interface. It's very much a work in progress. The Linkmap is a start. The main gist of what it means to live as a Drykas, the layout and contents of the city and some basic information on NPCs (by location) can be found there. I have two more locations inbound once I get around to coding them all perdy-like and one being redone on my carving table as well.

I'm still in the process of making a Pavilion list. The onset of installing guidelines has stalled that project a bit but it's still in the works. The Codex will be coming soon so that there won't be so many stickies all over the forum; some other cities have a codex and it's a one-stop shop for all information. I have a very weak flora and fauna list for the Sea of Grass...so, you've all been tapped to help. Go here and go nuts.

As always, if you have ideas for locations, festivals or anything else that will benefit the players and the city do not hesitate to PM me. I may shoot you down or I may hug you and call you a genius. :D

That is all...for now.

-Prophet
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Prophet on April 7th, 2016, 3:16 am

Hey guys,

I must apologize to you. The Flora and Fauna list is not going to happen. There are several reasons for this. The first is an oversight on my part. Because Endrykas is constantly moving, to create such a thing wouldn't be the same as a normal city because we literally cover an entire region. Also, there are herbalists and PCs with related skills in the game that have spent many hours compiling lists of roots, herbs, flowers, seeds and all the associated information that goes along with it. For me to come in and make a giant list for anyone to access is a bit insensitive to those players. If you have need of herbal information, hit the OOC with your question. I know we have several players who wield a large knowledge base on the subject. Anyone can write but Mizahar is here to encourage creativity and collaboration. I can't in good conscience step on that and call it progress. In lieu of a handy-dandy list of stuff that can be found in the lore and amongst your peers...I have made a new location!

The Conclave is not a postable location. It is something I felt was lacking in the societal structure of the Drykas. If you have a plot that needs a touch of IC politics, then you can send me a PM and we can discuss the options. I had a lot of fun putting this together and I hope you guys enjoy it. I also updated the Linkmap.

Sorry for the confusion but I came bearing fruit so you have to forgive me...not that you have a choice :D

-Prophet
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on April 7th, 2016, 3:28 am

we won't crucify you Prophet
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 3:59 am

Just stopping by to say hello to all of you and that I look forward to threading with you all. If you have any ideas on plots you would like to RP out with Caesi, shoot me a PM. I will thread about pretty much anything, even the things I really do not want to thread about..as it would be a challenge and who doesn't like challenges? Right? Right. So yeah, PM me :P!

Credit Goes to Prophet for the beautiful Signature!
Caesi Starguide
Player

Words: 191870
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on April 7th, 2016, 4:13 am

Let me post on the quest thread I am in and I will post my reply to you Caesi!
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext