Stories

Ambrosia entertains customers at the Sliver

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Stories

Postby Ambrosia Alar on December 1st, 2019, 2:39 am

Stories

73rd of Fall, 519 AV

Her belly satisfied after the meal she had just shoveled down after her arrival at the Sliver, Ambrosia stepped out into the tavern, her breath heavy with the scent of the spice that had flavored the gravy of her meal. She hadn’t been a fixture at the Sliver long, but already she had some patrons who recognized her and preferred her to be the one serving their drinks. One such patron spotted her as soon as she popped out of the back room and flagged her down.

“Ambrosia, I’m empty.”

Flashing Jeb a quick smile and ducking out of the wat so another barmaid could shuffle by with two handfuls of drinks, Ambrosia weaved her way between tables, freely giving out the smile that seemed to make everyone like her as she noticed a few more of her regulars. It had been a long time since that smile had come so readily, and she had no good reason for it. Here in Ravok as a slave, she was much worse off than the time she had had to force her smile. But perhaps that was the blessing of it all. Here, her sister was half the world away, and worrying about her did no one any good. It was selfish, but here, the only person Ambrosia had to worry about was herself. If anything was going to happen for Tessa, Ambrosia needed to endear herself with the people here to make that happen.

Arriving at his side, she swiped the mug off the table and peered into its empty bottom. “Sean, love, you didn’t even save a swig for me. I ain’t saying that you had to, but you could take a girl’s feelings into consideration.”

“That’s why I invited you over. To drink with me.”

“Yeah? Well, who’s gonna be paying for our drinks.” She tapped the back of her hand where half a black sun brand marked her as a slave and pouted. “I’m kinda broke if you don’t recall.”

Sean already had his answer ready. “I’m buying, of course.”

“Oh, good.” A relieved smile spread across her face. “What’ll we be having?”

“Ale?”

Ambrosia loved a good ale as much as the next girl, but she knew that was all Sean had ever ordered in his time frequenting the Sliver, and she’d be damned if she let him leave without experiencing something finer. Her pout returned. “Is that all I’m worth to you? An ale?”

“Would you prefer wine?”

Her frown deepened. “Silver?” He was incredulous. “Do you think I’m made of money, Ambrosia? Because I’m not.”

“I just thought it’d be a nice drink for the first drink you ever bought me. It’s more than worth its weight in gold.” It hurt her to say that. It was a fine alcohol, but it was no degtine.

Looking into his small ouch of coins, Sean shrugged. “I can only afford one mug of it.”

“Then we split it.”

Sean thought about it again and grimaced at the thought of the coin that would be leaving his pocket. He started to open his mouth, and Ambrosia was certain it was to refuse. She cut him off before he could.

“Perfect. I’ll go get us a mug.” She left a quick kiss on his cheek and spun away before he had the chance to object.

At the bar, JE was busy recounting the tale of how he had gotten his scar. “… and that’s when the Dravlak rent-”

“A Dravlak?” His audience was incredulous.

“A Dravlak,” Jeb stated bluntly. “As I was saying, the Dravlak rent the man next to me. Somehow, by Rhysol’s blessing, this little mark was the only damage I received, only lasting damage, I should say. I was laid up for a week.” He saw Ambrosia beginning to pour a mug of the Sliver. “Make sure the customer can pay for it before you pour it.

Beaming her cherished smile at him, she reassured him, “Do I ever disappoint?”

Jeb shrugged. “You haven’t been on with us long enough for me to find out. If history teaches me anything, you will. Everyone eventually does.”

Ambrosia pouted as she watched the mug fill half way. It was a generous half. If she was being honest, it was a generous three quarters. She was beginning to see his point. Still, she was certain she was more better for business that she was a detriment to it. If her time at the Rear taught her anything, it was that generosity with alcohol always meant more profit at the end of the night. “Don’t say that, Jeb. You’ll break a girl’s heart.”

Jeb muttered something under his breath, something about that being the first time in a long time that that had happened.

Ambrosia filled a second mug with another generous “half”, beamed a smile at Jeb as she passed him again, and brought Sean his coveted mug of Silver Sliver. Setting it down in front of him, she acted as if she had just performed the greatest favor he could have been granted in his existence. He still looked skeptical, but she didn’t let that hesitance fester. It was better to nip doubt in the bud, smother it in its crib.

Sean wrapped his hand around the handle of his mug. “This had better be worth it.”

Holding her own mug to her lips, she smiled over its brim at him. “I don’t even need to say anything to convince you of that. Degtine talks for itself.”

“Degtine?”

The sudden reminder of home and everything she’d left there was almost enough to throw Ambrosia off her game. Almost. She shook her head. “Sorry. Old habits, but that ain’t about to change the fact it’s true. Sliver speaks for itself.”

She took a sip, eyes closing to revel in its one of a kind taste as her cheeks puckered at its tart bite. Another smile burst across her face as the familiar burn of alcohol filled her. She sighed at the pleasure that only alcohol could bring, and as her eyes opened up, she could see her reaction had made Sean eager for his first taste.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)