Location [Syliras Entrance] The Main Gates

Please post here first after registering!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Valon Ternyk on June 30th, 2012, 11:05 am

Season of Summer, Day 13, 512 AV

A low harumph left the redhead standing before the gates of Syliras, his head tipped back to look upward. He had stated his business already, that he was coming off a job and wanted a few days to relax before he set out finding his other. He knew he would likely get in soon enough, but it was a little tedious to have the knights checking out his horse. While they did, Valon stared up at the ramparts and the archers no doubt positioned there. It had been a whole year since he'd been here; he had forgotten exactly how things were run. It would come to him in time, though.

His attention turned back to the knights and Titan after a moment longer. The big horse was getting old, but he was still as healthy as any young stallion. It had been why he had taken Titan as his own when he had been allowed one horse. The beast wasn't the fastest mount in the world, but he was slow and methodical in his pace. Kept at a decent clip, Valon figured that the big bruiser could outdistance a smaller horse once the smaller mount's stamina started to go. He couldn't say for sure, however. It was just the internal boasting of a proud horse owner.

Finally, after what felt like ages to the anxious ex-guard, the two knights stopped checking his beast for illness. He only paid half a mind to their words when admitted, his callused palm rubbing over his chin for a brief moment. His teeth worried the inside of a cheek, and he felt flushed, hoping the men simply thought it to be the heat. Valon wasn't sick, but he also wasn't in the best of health mentally. His supply of his usual herb had run out just the day before and already he was becoming antsy without it. When he took his reins in hand once more, he knew his destination: Windmount Stables. He had to get Titan housed before he could go out for himself.
Valon Ternyk
Player

Words: 11707
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2012, 7:11 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Talulah on July 2nd, 2012, 9:45 pm

42th day of Summer, 512 AV. About 30 chimes after the 8th bell.

Jewel galloped towards the gates, slowing when Talulah told her to as they got close to the gates. The guards raised their eyebrows at their appearance and Talulah moved Jewel to the side to explain why they look like such a mess.

Both horse and rider were damp, the saddlebags and tack the only relatively dry things. The Strider's mane and tail clung to her body and looked knotted and unbrushed. Talulah's hair was just as knotted and unkempt, clinging to her body and still dripping wet. As a result, her clothes were soaked and her hair was in her face.

Talulah smiled a little, embarresed, and ran her fingers through her wet hair. "I'm sorry for my appearance, sirs." she said, trying to be respectful. "I heard a rumor about something interesting happening in Syliras about 30 days ago so I rushed here in hopes of not being late. I didn't really have time for hygeine with the fast pace I was going at so I took a quick bath in a stream just a couple bells ago." They chuckled a little and nodded, inpecting her quickly and gesturing her inside. "You were almost too late. Better hurry!" They pointed her in the right direction and she trotted into the city with an excited air about her.
They say stubborness...

...Is a curse...

Text
"Common"
"Pavi"
"Thinking"
Talulah
Player

Words: 29551
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sahashnasim on July 7th, 2012, 1:17 am

Summer, Day 46, 512 AV

Nasim stopped at the main gate to the city, staring at it. He avoided cities. They were fertile hunting grounds but too packed, too condensed for a predator like him. He needed space to conceal himself, to strike and to follow his prey. In a city, there were simply too many things Nasim could not keep track of.

And being in a city meant remaining in human form and acting like a human. The longer the charade went, the greater the risk of someone noticing his odd habits. Entering Syliras was a potential death trap but he was hungry and desperate.

With a tight grip on his emergency food's reins, he led the horse carrying all the props he needed to look human into the city of Syliras.
Sahashnasim
Player

Words: 5967
Joined roleplay: May 25th, 2012, 9:31 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Keda on July 8th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Summer, Day 47, 512AV

The creature was still very new to large places, after all, who would want someone like him around? It wasn't his fault he was categorized, no, he just wanted to be a new..himself. If he could have changed his race he would have, but he was born this way. As everyone began to hate him for what he was he just grew to almost like the gray hair and the ash like skin. He went as far as liking his black nails that stood out. Keda was ready and he just wanted to explore a little. Ignore the nasty glares you are getting and ignore the fact that you're just standing here, looking up at the walls like a fool.

To get Keda out of his daze his hawk nudged his face lovingly, making sure he was okay. She knew how he felt, she was hunted and casted out too. He knew that he would be done with his weeks rations in well, soon, and he tasted blood in the back of his throat, maybe something like regret, or of last nights dinner. Either way since he already was here he might as well go in. After all what had he and Dinela have to loose? So he tugged his black cloak tighter around him and un-hooded his face, making him temporarily hiss at the warmth that touched it by the baking sun.
Last edited by Keda on July 12th, 2012, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello hello. I'm glad to be here and if you can be kind to a creature like me, let me know, yeah?

Character Sheet: (updated regularly)
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic23442.html
Keda
Demon of Many Purporsions

Words: 13628
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2012, 7:20 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Tryn Frostfawn on July 11th, 2012, 9:44 pm

51st Day, Summer, 512 AV

Finally reaching the end of his journey, Varjo could see the main gates of Syliras approaching in the distance. He came to a halt in his leisurely canter, dipping his head low, allowing his bags to slide over his ears and onto the ground before him. His eyes shifted around him to see whether or not anyone was nearby, and satisfied they weren't, Varjo shifted back into his human form. Instantaneous and from what he'd heard, beautiful to behold, his transformation took only seconds, leaving his naked human body standing where his sleek horse form had just stood. Varjo reached inside his bag to pull out his boots, a pair of pants and a shirt, his belt, and his brush and changed, tidying his hair when he was done. Making sure his sack was tied securely to his backpack, he slung the bags over his shoulder and continued on the last steps of his mission to reach Syliras.

In his traveling there, Varjo had heard the stories of the Djed storms and the devastation they caused the city. Varjo felt he was meant to come to Syliras for multiple reasons, and to help clean up was just added to the list. A side note thought crossed his mind, that with his not only being able to shift into a horse, but a large heavy duty horse at that, he could be of use in many ways with clearing debris, in either form. A trailing thought at the back of his mind was also the possibility of joining the ranks of the Syliran Knights, either as a Knight, or even as a mount. Perhaps he would find a bond this way. Or perhaps none of that should happen and maybe he'd find a bond elsewhere with a greater purpose for him than in someway being part of the Knighthood. Only time would tell, and dwelling on such things at the current time were useless, so pushing all thoughts aside, Varjo approached the main gate.

As expected, Knights were stationed at the gate, questioning everyone wishing entrance to the city and directing them as was necessary. Bowing his head to the man who approached him, Varjo kindly greeted the night. "Good day, Sir." The Knight nodded back in greeting, very formal and all business. "What's your name and business in Sylira?" "My name is Varjo. I've traveled here from Zelvita. I heard of the destruction that befell this city, and I've come to help, and perhaps make residence here." The guards checked his bags, noting his supplies. "Alright. Temporary housing is in Traveler's Row, though it's cramped in there. There's a tent community sprung up just that way, if you'd rather your own space of sorts." He pointed West in the direction of the settlement. "Food is scarce though. You won't be able to buy any here right now. You'll have to work for it, and receive that instead of payment. Are you willing to do this?" Varjo smiled and nodded at the Knight. "Yes sir I am. I would gladly be of as much use as needed of me. Am I clear to enter?" Satisfied this visitor would do his part to help out and wasn't a threat to the city or it's people, the guards waved him in, and Varjo took his first steps into the city, eager to get himself situated and help out.
Tryn Frostfawn
Player

Words: 16291
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2012, 6:15 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Septimus on July 12th, 2012, 12:42 am

Summer 1st, 512AV

Septimus was returning to help rebuild Syliras from the storm and work more to gain her War Horse title. After the small talk her and Xalet had had about her possibilities, it was now a dream that she dedicated to make come true. She walked near the entrance then smiled at the guards "Hello, gentlemen. Just got here from the Wildlands. I came to help rebuild the city some after the storm. I hear it struck quite bad?"

The guards nodded with a gingerly smile "Quite bad, yes. Glad you could help." She walked into the city after slugging her backpack on her shoulder "You have a good say, gentlemen." They smiled "You as well, ma'am." With brief steps she entered the city, ready to see what damage had been done.

Septimus
Better • Faster • Stronger

Words: 230446
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2012, 12:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Trash Medal (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shade on July 15th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Summer 1, 512 AV

The ex-Monk rode through the gates of Syliras after a quiet talk with the guards, determined to visit for a few days and perhaps maybe stay. When he'd heard about all the damage, the monk decided that Syliras with all its reputation would be a good place for him to stay for a while and perhaps lend a hand if he could. They'd certainly need cleanup, for all that. And he'd be able to find some work possibly at a local jewelers.

Shadekas inquired as to where the local jewelcrafter was and decided to stop there first thing. He needed coin to fund his journeying and settling with a jeweler would be the best way to do so temporarily.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Words: 215158
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2011, 7:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Allison on July 16th, 2012, 10:01 am

45th day of Summer, 512 AV

Allison made her way up the eerily quiet pathway, the moon high in the night sky, the only sounds being her even breaths and the muted clip-clop of a horse walking on soft dirt. She could hear every step Terri, the horse, took and then hear it echo faintly. Too faintly for the human ear to pick up. She found it strange that the owls had stopped hooting and the nocturnal animals did not rustle the leaves and call out to one another. Only after thinking about it for a short time did she realize that they were probably apt at hiding from hunters, being so close to such a huge town, and she had probably scared them all away with her not-so subtle way of travel.

She made her way through the the forest, keeping to a dirt track caused by many years of horses, humans, and other visitors of Syliras trampling the grass and shoving leaves out of their way. As soon as Allison saw the gates of Syliras she dismounted her horse and took hold of the reins. She led the tall horse off the dirt track and into the thick, sinister looking forest. He stomped his front hoof and blew a raspberry at her in defiance, but she managed to get the large animal into the forest. She traveled in a straight line until she found a small clearing, only about 4 meters wide surrounded by bushes and vegetation, as well a large thorny blackberry bush. She cut herself a small opening and untacked Terri, and set up camp. She didn't bother with a campfire, she just set up her tent and went to sleep.

Allison awoke early the next morning and got herself dressed. She made sure that her small camp was well hidden before following her own scent back out of the woods onto the dusty path. She walked nervously up to the gates of Syliras. She had brought a small backpack with the things she felt she may need - her dagger, her money and her art supplies. When she reached the gates a large, intimidating guard stopped her and asked her business here. She was a small bit terrified, but it did not show in her voice as she answered him. "Just visiting" she said, with a small smile. The guards eyed her coldly for a moment before one asked her "Where are you coming from?". She looked at her feet for a couple moments before looking back up at the inexplicably large man. "Riverfall" she uttered quietly. The two men looked at her uncertainly before the huge gates to the city were opened. She walked through the open gates and once inside, gave the scary men a small wave. As she descended into the city she heard one of the guards mutter, "She was a bit odd, wasn't she?".

Allison
Player

Words: 18971
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm
Character sheet

Postby Eachann Marshall on July 22nd, 2012, 9:57 pm

32 Summer, 512
Late Morning

"Syliras Ho!"

The cry was repeated back through the caravan, primarily by the outriders, until it reached those riding the back trail who slouched in relief, exhaling heavily. Our hero, known now as Eachann Marshall, had been resting amongst the supplies in the back of one of the wagons after pulling second shift guard duty, but was roused by the excitement of the sighting of the caravan's destination. Stretching as best he could in the cozy little niche he had wormed himself amongst the crates sacks and other detritus of a merchants wagon the youth got to his knees before taking stock of his admittedly meager possessions.

The clothes he was wearing plus the thin backpack he'd laid between his feet when taken with the buckler and Javelins he was never without comprised nearly everything. Gathering them to their accustomed places, Eachann swung his legs out of the wagon before hopping to escape the vehicles momentum. He landed hard, but aside from a faint stinging in the souls of his feet there was no damage. One of the caravans permanent guards eyed him warily as he rode past, and the former Clansman was certain that the man thought he was out of his mind.

Laughing quietly to himself Eachann finally made the move to get out of the path of the next wagon and whistled sharply. The answering bark was a heartbeat or two in coming, but he was not worried. Hafiz, as he had named the Akinva Deerstalker bitch who had, inexplicably bonded with him never left the caravan, though she had a tendency to wander it looking for food. She'd heard his call however. This was, the youth reminded himself, as far as the caravan had agreed to take him. "within sight of the city." had been the merchants condition when the youth had regained consciousness. Now he rode up as Eachann was preparing to take his leave.

"Hate to see you go lad." The man said as he drew up to ride beside the youth his caravan had rescued half dead from the Sea of Grass. "You don't have to hold me to what I said before." He didn't repeat what it had been, and neither did Eachann. It no longer mattered anyway.

"I am obliged for your generosity in bringing me this far." He said, no looking up from the approaching figure of Hafiz. "I'll stick to the deal because honestly," He stretched a hand out for the dog to lick in greeting as she too fell in step. "i don't know what i'm doing here yet. Might take me a day or two to figure it out, and I don't want you and yours beholden to me. Better we're not remarked together." The merchant, stroking his chin as was his habit when in thought, couldn't deny the wisdom in the boy's words.

"You taking the dog?" he asked, rather than saying goodbye.

"You gonna make her stay?" Eachann asked, by way of the same. Neither man said anything more, and the Caravan rolled on toward the city as two figures, one human, the other canine, slipped off the track of the South Kabrin Road, the city's Wheat fields still lay ahead, but he had learned some caution since losing Sirocco on the Grass Sea. Or he still wasn't sure if he was going to Syliras, despite coming all this way. Dutifully, Hafiz followed, and he lead her down to the lake for a drink and a bit of a nap before the final push on to the city, or the start of a new journey somewhere else. Time would tell.
Last edited by Eachann Marshall on July 26th, 2012, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eachann Marshall
Player

Words: 35956
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2012, 12:11 am
Character sheet

Postby Eachann Marshall on July 23rd, 2012, 4:12 am

The sound of the waves lapping at the beach was utterly foreign, yet nevertheless soothing. Usually so much water meant that the Sea of Grass had flooded, and that was never a good thing. But this, the guards of the caravan had called it the Suvan Sea, this was permanent and no more harmful than, well, it could still be pretty harmful, but the risks were acceptable and overcome-able with the right preparation and knowledge. Something that could not be said for a flash flood on the Sea of Grass. Hafiz ran out into the water, barking at and trying to play with her own reflection.

Dropping his pack near a likely rock (it was after all incredibly heavy, loaded down as it was) Eachann rested his hip against the stone and crossed his ankles over each other. He watched Hafiz splash about for a while as he gnawed disconsolately on a piece of hard jerky he'd tucked away at dinner the night before. Letting his eyes unfocus, the youth thought about his life, where he was, where he was going, and what he needed to get there.

Where he was was easy. He was on the shore of this inland sea, less than a mile from the city which had been his destination these past months. But in all honesty he wasn't certain why he was going there, or even if he wanted to. But he reasoned that he had to go somewhere, and in that event why not the accepted center of human civilization such as it was? He obviously could not go back to the Sea of Grass, and the world was a dangerous place for one man alone. In all, Syliras seemed the only sane not to mention logical choice.

Thusly resigned, Eachann shook his head to and pushed off the rock with the heel of his well worn boot. Whistling for his dog once more, he shouldered the burden of his possessions and set off for the Kabrin Road he had so recently departed, and from there, the gates of the city herself.

*~*~*~*~*

It was late in the afternoon by the time that Eachann arrived at the gates proper, and the caravan with which he had been traveling was far out sight by now. Surely the had arrived and were settled in. With Hafiz in tow, the footsore self-exiled Drykas approached one of the Knights who stood guard. Pausing, and struggling to call up the proper Common, Eachann introduced himself and asked for advice on a good place to get some rest, some food, and a job, in that order.
Eachann Marshall
Player

Words: 35956
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2012, 12:11 am
Character sheet

PreviousNext