Location [Syliras Entrance] The Main Gates

Please post here first after registering!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Eachann Marshall on July 25th, 2012, 7:56 pm

The gates of Sylira were on the Eastern Wall so that Eachann Marshall approached the city with the light of the setting sun at his back. His and Hafiz's shadows were cast on the road before them. This late in the day, they were the only travelers on the road, and the Knights who stood guard at the portal to the city were watchful if lonesome. At his approach, both sentries turned their gaze to follow him. Eachann noted that they were both men, one younger the other eld, though either was older than him.

"Halt! What is you're name and Business in Sylira?" the younger of the two, fresh-faced and sandy hair asked with parade-ground formality. The other guard, the elder balding but for a long white pony tail laughed softly to himself.

"Relax Boy." He said in a course voice, a savage scar across his throat the likely culprit. "It's one kid and his Dog." The younger man's face darkened and he shot a reproachful glance at his partner.

"Our duty is to protect the people of Syliar!" He said firmly. "We are to question and inspect all those entering or seeking to enter the city.." Feeling somewhat uncomfortable at the nature of this exchange, and the familiar feeling of it, Eachann found it best to interrupt. He gave his name, the assumed one, not the one he had been born with, and the younger guard started at hearing him speak, and colored slightly.

"And you're business in the City?" he asked, resuming the formal tone of his previous inquiry.

"Shelter and Work." Was the drykas' reply. Casually he leaned down and scratched his dog's ears "For two." . The younger guard looked flustered by the concept, and so the elder, after another laugh, spoke up.

"Travelers Row is an option." He began gruffly, nodding past the gates. "It's pretty cramped what with the damage done by the Storm." He spoke as if Eachann would know what that meant and so didn't elaborate any. "And there is a tent city over yonder," He jerked one thumb to the side to indicate just where 'yonder' was. "if you happen to want your open space." He paused before continuing.

"There isn't much food to be had right now, so you'll have to take what you can get in lieu of of your wages for a bit. Alistair and myself are Syliran Knights, it's not a bad way to make you're living if I do say so. We're always recruiting. There's an office." The elder guard gave precise directions. "But with that Deerstalker at you're hip maybe you could Hunt the Bronze Wood. Up to you of course." The man concluded finally settling back to his post now silent. The younger guard looked from Eachann to his elder cohort.

"You can go on in." He said finally, looking chagrined. "Keep in mind what Borenz said, hunt or join up, but know you'll need a job one way or the other." Nodding to the two men, Eachann made his way through the gates, pondering his choices. Without really thinking about it, the youth found his feet taking him towards the Syliran Knights recruitment office.
Eachann Marshall
Player

Words: 35956
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2012, 12:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Arae on August 7th, 2012, 1:38 am

53rd of Summer, 512

Shadows lengthened as Syna’s light retreated. Arae blinked at the gates looming ahead of her and ran a trembling hand through her knotted hair. It was time to get off the road. She needed rest.

Her gaze wandered to the men guarding the gate. They stopped everyone before her. She swallowed. If Leth made it to the sky before she got through, she risked another painful injury. The sting of the last break still lingered.

Her fingers sought the reassuring bone of her corsets. They rubbed against her ribs as she steadied herself for another breath. Anxious to get inside before darkness fell, she hurried toward the guards, nudging Delvran forward until she was face to face with one of them. His voice was steady as he spoke. “If we let you pass, how will you survive behind these walls?”

“I want to help rebuild the city. I can work for food rations.”

The guard considered her response. He pulled open her bag and rifled through its contents before returning to her. After nodding to the second guard, he ushered her through.

She looked over her shoulder and hurried past him into the city.
Arae
What is to give light must endure burning.

Words: 6151
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 3:02 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Naeya on August 10th, 2012, 2:06 am

Timestamp: Season of Summer, 62nd Day, 512 AV – Early Evening

Syna was beginning to wane as Naeya reached the entrance to Syliras. Syliras! Who would have ever thought she’d end up here during her lifetime? The city of knights and order and honour… She had arrived at the city via the Suvan Sea and, while she missed the sea already, she felt ready to get her legs used to land once more.

The Konti woman took in the scene before her. Two guards – quite possibly knights, from the descriptions she’d heard – were stopping travelers and city-goers before they reached the gates, seemingly to check over their goods and welfare.

After a few moments’ wait, it was her turn.

“Good evening, miss,” one of the guards greeted her. “What’s your business in the city?”

“I’m stopping over on my way to Mura,” Naeya replied with a smile. She was unsure of how long she’d stay, and of how she would be getting to Mura from this point on. Up until this moment, her entire plan had relied on travelling from Riverfall to Syliras. Now that she had reached her goal, she felt a bit lost.

The guard nodded knowingly. “Due to the Djed Storm, food is still scarce,” he explained. “Will you be willing to work for rations during your stay with us? We’re still rebuilding and clearing up the rubble.”

Work for rations? She hadn’t come to the city prepared to help them rebuild, but if that was the only way for her to eat… so be it. And if she could help another poor soul devastated by the storm, how could she possibly say no? Besides, the city was far more hospitable than the Wildlands, which was where she was sure to end up should she refuse.

“Yes, absolutely. I would be happy to lend any services Syliras requires during my stay here.”

“Good. You’ll be able to find yourself a room in the Traveler’s Row.” After giving her quick directions to the inn, the guards stood aside and allowed her passage into the city.

Hello, Syliras.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Postby Thom Stornwell on August 12th, 2012, 6:47 pm

40th Day of Summer, 512 AV

As Thom approached along the road leading to the eastern gate to Syliras, he couldn't help but gape. Having spent his entire life in a small village, he had never seen anything the size of this city.

A soft hum could be heard, as of hundreds of voices at once. Many people milled about outside the walls and he passed a large village of tents on his way to the gates. There had to be hundreds, if not thousands of people here, never before had he seen so many in one place - or indeed thought it possible!

He stopped as he reached the back of a long line, waiting for his turn to petition to enter the city. He could see some people being turned away and shifted his feet nervously, wondering if he would be denied entry as well.

After a while he reached the gates and was stopped by a burly looking fellow, his uniform proclaiming him as one of the guards.

"Halt! Name and purpose of coming to Syliras?" His voice was gruff and his breath didn't smell too great.

Putting on his best grin he turned to face the man, nearly knocking someone down with his backpack, causing the victim to grumble and curse. "My name is Thom, sir. Thom Stornwell. A fine city you have, I see the rebuilding efforts are going well." The man stared back at him with a blank expression and he hurried on with his speech. "Why, I have come to see the city of course, and perhaps earn a living while I'm here!"

The guard stared at him for a moment then sighed. "Mayhap you can earn your fortune, but not at present lad." His sigh turned into a frown and he spoke again, with a much rougher tone this time. "We're not letting anyone pass unless they can support themselves. There is no food for sale here. Unless you want to work for it of course?" It was less of a question, more a statement of fact.

Looking puzzled, Thom spoke in a quizzical manner, "What sort of work might that be?"

Staring back at him with a frown on his face and a look that more or less shouted idiot, the guard spoke again, in a lecturing tone. "With the rebuilding efforts. You help rebuild the city and you'll get your rations. What say you?"

"Sounds fine by me, I'd be more than happy to help, my good man." This wasn't what Thom had in mind, but if it's what was required, then it's what he must do.

"Good, just you don't go causing any nuisance! Be gone with you boy!" As if Thom were not there, he turned back to the line, already calling for the next man, and cursing when he was joslted by a 'peasant'. With a sigh Thom carried on through the gate, realising he had no idea what to do next. I need some rest before I do anything! His thought had decided him, and he went on his way to find an inn, even if it meant having to share a room at least he could put his feet up!
Thom Stornwell
Player

Words: 5903
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2012, 11:05 pm
Character sheet

Postby Basha'ir on August 13th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Summer 45, 512 AV

Through a semi-sheer veil Basha’ir lifted her eyes, taking in the high walls of the city. Theodoric had described Syliras to her, many times, during the arduous trek from Ravok. It didn’t sound like an especially welcoming place, though it was apparently open to all. At least, those who entered with good intent were tolerated. Looking at the formidable gates before her, Basha’ir wasn’t sure if this included her or not. Her reason for being here was Theodoric, and she had no choice in the matter. So, vicariously, her intent was his intent. She turned her head to look at the man who now owned her, as he reined in his mount to a halt, in order to speak to the guards who were now addressing their party. Bash’ir did likewise, but sat quietly, letting Theordoric, who was a resident of the city, explain their business.

And it was business that had both taken Theodoric north, and which now saw him returning to his home town. Amongst his many new acquisitions from his travels as a merchant was the young woman who rode beside him. How she came into his possession was a hair raising tale of murder and deceipt and pay-offs and treachery. Theorodirc, however, was calm and unruffled as he gave his identity to the soldiers at the gate. They recognized the name and were satisfied with him, and the rest of the Sylirans who comprised his merchant’s caravan, all returning home. But the newcomer, they wished to see her face, to ask her a few questions, to assure themselves that the veiled figure was not visibly diseased or perhaps some type of creature considered undesirable in this city of peace and order.

At a nod from Theodoric, the young woman who he introduced as his new ward lifted her veil and looked down from the back of her mount, letting the guards take a good look at her face. She gave them a small smile, spoke quietly in response to their questions, telling the tale of lies Theodoric had prepared her with. The men smiled back. Their expressions eased. They nodded affably, waving the party through.

Theodoric grinned as he urged his horse forward. To his side and slightly behind, Basha’ir lowered her veil again, hiding from the world whatever expression this entrance into a new city, a new chapter in her life, had brought to her face.
But if I share my secret, you're gonna have to keep it. No-one else can see this...
Basha'ir
in the first circle of hell

Words: 101976
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mey'Tay on August 27th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Syliras, the capital of Sylira, was right in front of Mey'Tay. Her eyes perceived the big gates, the white bricks and the two towers. The sky was blue, but not bluer than her legs. They were dying for rest, as well as the rest of her body, but her mind was of full functionality as contrast the rest of her.
She had been taking notes to make time pass as she walked, until she was half a mile away from the beautiful city.
A guard approached her, but nothing did she notice; she merely looked down into the dirt, being in her own world.
"Halt right there, traveler!" The guard, who had approached, said in a hoarse voice and in a rude tone. "What is your business here in Syrilas? Here to cause trouble?"
"My business? Yes... let me see," Mey'Tay said in her light voice with an arrogant grin. She took of her hood, which had been covering her face with a shadow.

"I am here to settle, and finish my father's writings."
The guard hadn't seen her face, first thinking she was a male, perhaps a thief? But no. She was just a big thinker, who desired to finish her father's writings.
"Oh, my apology, miss." the guard said with relief in his voice, almost if he had conceived her as a criminal. The guard stood back, and whispered something unhearable to the other guard.
"Will you be able to supply yourself, miss?" the second guard asked. Unlike the first guard, he had a very bright voice. He sounded young and bright. "Can you supply yourself?"
"Very well I can. If you don't mind me gathering herbs around the city walls, then I will not have any issues supplying my self, sir." Mey'Tay said, and looked at - what she assumed - was a young boy. However, she could not see through the small holes in his helmet.

"I don't see a problem with that," he replied. "But be aware that bandits lure around the walls."
"I will," she said, and walked through the gates, which had been opened during the conversation. Suddenly a hand landed on her shoulder. It was the young guard. He had taken his helmet off, and you could see that his hair was bright, and his eyes blue.
"What is your name?" he asked. Not as a guard, but a friend.
"Mey'Tay," she replied and let out a small giggle. He had clearly taken a good eye for her.

She then walked through the gates into the big city.
Mey'Tay
Player

Words: 1984
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Postby Jeremiah Maccabee on September 4th, 2012, 10:13 pm

The party of five approached the city gates on horseback. Mac dismounted Shin'ta and talked with a guard, who waved then on through. Mac re-mounted and led his party into the city. Twenty-six days from Ravok. Mac was pleased that they had made such good time. He bade farewell to Soryn and his three Konti slaves. He was glad to be rid of them.
AKA Anselm
Jeremiah Maccabee
No, I am not lost. Why do you ask?

Words: 52143
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2012, 1:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Marcus Braeden on September 5th, 2012, 8:21 pm

17th of Fall, 512 AV

The great city of Syliras could finally be seen on the horizon, its great buildings just showing themselves over the treeline. Marcus had been away since the spring, and it felt good to finally be returning, and in one piece. His patron knight, Ser Noah, also accompanied him and showed a slight smile once the buildings had come into view. The other members of the party, various men and women who had accompanied them to the Spires in the first place, let out sighs of reliefs as they approached.

The guards recognized Ser Noah and did not bother to question the group in regards to entering the city. They knew that this was the group that had gone to the Spires in the spring and that this was there return. Not everyone returned though, not that there were any notable deaths in the Spires. Other members of the group had stayed up north, to find more adventure. But Marcus wasn't ready for such things. Returning to Syliras was his best option.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Words: 138816
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Solamon Tienfre on September 10th, 2012, 6:13 pm

5th of Autumn, 512AV

It had taken a lot longer than he thought to actually reach the city but now he stood before the gates. At least the had arrived in one piece. Shifting his weight he shouldered his sack once more and strode towards the gates. He didn't care what the city looked like or what the people in it did, it was just another link in the chain. Even if that link kept sending him backwards...in the complete opposite direction.

Smiling tightly at the guard as he was quite obviously checked over, he got the usual question 'are you a Nuit?' and he sighed and went over his profession in great detail. The guard actually managed to look disgusted before directing him to where he would find employment and housing.

Giving a finger wave and assuring the guard he could do a full search to check for illnesses anytime and walked off with a smile that looked almost real.
Common
Alts: Matthaus | I'sona
Solamon Tienfre
The Mad Mortician

Words: 10336
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2012, 12:49 am
Character sheet

Postby Lessira on September 12th, 2012, 4:41 am

5th of Fall, 512 AV
Mid-morning

Time had become something that passed, never slowing and never gaining speed. It had become something that needed little thought or notice. What did it matter now anyway... What was the point of wondering of the time when now, after she had thought she had found what she needed she had instead lost everything?

The girl who walked through the gates looked up at the great opening to the city, brushing back a stray white hair from her sparkling blue eyes. About her people milled about as if they were all in such a great hurry, but Lessira could not see what it was that drove them. All were stopped and spoken to by people dressed in the oddest of manner. Great plates of metal hung from their shoulders, and from them came a feeling of authority and power that the girl had never seen before. This place... it was so different from the home she had once known.

As she made her way past the bustling people Lessira found her way blocked by the form of another man coated in armor. His hand was raised in a firm signal of his authority, but his features spoke of a kind spirit hidden beneath the cold steel. Lessira stopped and pushed back the hood of her cloak, letting her white hair fall free from their confines. She offered a smile to the man who, for some odd reason, smiled broadly in return.

Clearing his throat the man spoke, "Welcome Miss to Syliras. What is your buisness here today?"

Lessira blinked, tilting her head and absently pulled at a white hair. What WAS her buisness in Syliras? Truly she did not know, but there was something... a nagging in the back of her mind that pulled her in this direction, but for what? A few moments more clicked by and the knight cleared his throat. Blinking once more, this time in surprise, Lessira quickly spoke, "I have come following the pull in my mind."

The man raised a single eyebrow, "You came following a pull in your mind? Where is it pulling you to?"

Lessira shook her head, her brow knitting together as she tried to think, "I... I am not sure. Do you know?"

The man shrugged and shook his head, "I am afraid not, but then perhaps it is the Call that you Konti speak of. Whatever it is please enjoy your stay in Syliras, and I hope you find what you are looking for."

He had been nice, and Lessira was sad to see him go as she continued on through the crowds. Glancing behind her she could not help but wonder if she might see him again, but with a shake of her head she looked forward, stepping into the bustling city of Syliras.
Lessira
I am Fallen...

Words: 67629
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2012, 5:31 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext